What are the Fox-body convertibles worth?

FleshRocket,
I am not sure where you are from, but I bought mine (1988 GT Vert) in Tacoma Wa. for $4000.00. It was mechanically good and the interrior was good. The top was not in the best of shape but it was all there.
I will say this, a GT Vert is the heaviest Stang in those years but to go out cruzin on a warm summer night with the top down is priceless, IMO. Look for one with a 5-speed and a working top and make sure it is mechanically sound. I looked for about a month and I wanted one that was not "Hot Rodded". When I found mine it was bone stock (except for the wheels and tires). I have not regretted it.
I would go out to the internet and look at used car listings and try to find a private owner not a dealer for a good price and maybe you will find someone in need of money soon, they will be more open to lowering the price and have cash. I find that if you have cash and flash it infront of them people seem to bend. Good luck, you will not regret owning a Stang, and Welcome! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

subcreep said:
Just bought mine in September for $2500. '92 white with black top, 84,000 miles. Recent rebuild on engine (car sat idle for 2 years). Has Sub-frames, bbk cold-air, o/r x-pipes, 3 chamber flowmasters, etc......... Needs some body work, but the price was RIGHT!

See, I'm looking to buy this car as a daily driver. I want something in really good shape mechanically and aesthetically so I don't have to spend money or time making it "right". I've got a Fiero that I am going to do an engine swap on, and I want to spend all of my "working on cars" time on that car. Once I've got the Fiero where I want it, I will probably start throwing time and money at whatever Mustang I buy, but that's probably 4-6 months off at this point.

$2500 sounds like a really good price for that car, though, even if it needed a complete paint job and some new body panels.

Something else I wanted to comment on:

The '92 vert I drove on Sunday felt a good bit pokier than the '93 notchback I used to have. The notchback definitely felt like a mid 14-second car, and it was stock AFAIK. The '92 vert felt like a low/mid 15-second car. I realize that the verts weigh more than the non-drop-top models, and I did have both my girlfriend (120ish lbs) and my buddy (230 lbs) along for the ride, but I didn't think it would have THAT much of an effect. Correct me if I'm wrong, though. :)

Same here

tvmango said:
I also going to depend on where you live, there tons of verts in the south , but barely any up here in new england, supply and demand. also condition, i paid 5500. for mine 2 years ago, with 90k on it, in very good cond, lady owned it's whole life, garaged,and never driven in the rain or snow, it's like brand new underneath. It takes a while to find them but , you will......

Mustangs are so common in Southern California that they seem to be a lot cheaper than everywhere else. Some of the prices you guys are coming up with are outrageous (compared to what I'm used to). Convertibles are a dime a dozen and cheaper than hard tops out here. You can pick up a nice vert for less than 4k. I admit that the better ones are usually advertised for around 6k but the market here is so saturated that most people cave in and take huge reductions in asking prices. If anybody wants to see what I'm talking about just go to www.recycler.com and do a search. Use a zipcode like 91364 and choose anything from a 50 mile radius. I look all the time and there a bunch of expensive cars that have been in there for 5-6 months. The more reasonable ones usually last a week or two. Disregard any adds that are not private parties.

I've heard ranges between $500-900, 700 being a more common price. All materials and labor, but of course you'll have to check local rates and companies.

I got that 92.5 convertable excatly, cept mine has a slush box inside. Its seriously a great car and stands out, sucks when you want to kinda duck outta somewhere, but oh well right. It is a rare model, 3,333 built, and ive seen maybe 4 or 5 others, and i just got back from a cross country trip, 30000 miles. Tops are arent even that expensive if you arent looking for oem, and can be found on 50resto.com, on the down side, the interior piece over the seatbelt... hole... thing breaks pretty easily and are near impossible to find in white.

californiaHG said:
I got that 92.5 convertable excatly, cept mine has a slush box inside. Its seriously a great car and stands out, sucks when you want to kinda duck outta somewhere, but oh well right. It is a rare model, 3,333 built, and ive seen maybe 4 or 5 others, and i just got back from a cross country trip, 30000 miles. Tops are arent even that expensive if you arent looking for oem, and can be found on 50resto.com, on the down side, the interior piece over the seatbelt... hole... thing breaks pretty easily and are near impossible to find in white.
Glad I have two mint ones in my '92 :banana: :banana:

yea, the previous owner, who took really good care of the engine, didnt do anything to the interior, but Ive ridden in the car fairly regularly since 1993, but to get to my point... lucky bastard.

I bought mine for $3500 a year and 1/2 ago. it needed a few things but its in awesome shape. watch out if you buy a vert tho, the back windows break very easily if theyre glass. I got out of work one day and put the top down and it busted right there :bang: . I had to drive around for a while with no back window and a $2000 audio system in it, thats no fun. i replaced the glass with a piece of clear thick plastic and it works pretty good. I went to 3 or 4 different places and they all were around 8 or $900 for a new top with a glass back window. The plastic was free and the glue cost $5 so im pretty happy :p

87gtconvt said:
I went to 3 or 4 different places and they all were around 8 or $900 for a new top with a glass back window. The plastic was free and the glue cost $5 so im pretty happy :p

Maybe I'm missing something, but it looked to me like 50resto.com was offering their "ultimate convertible rebuild kit" for around $350--including a top, glass, and what appears to be just about all of the other pieces that could wear out or fail in the meantime.

I've never replaced a top before, but I assume that a reasonably competent backyard mechanic could do it in several hours. (Anyone who has done one, please offer your comments.)

I paid $6,600 for my 1990 LX Conv 25th anniv. 100% stock down to the air silencer in the fender and original mufflers. It had 48,000 original miles and I bought it off the original owner. The car was and still is in mint condition in and out. The top is original and is flawless except for a very minor tear near the rear glass window. It also has a T-5 :). It is currently in storage because of winter and has a little over 50,000 miles on the clock. Only mods I have done are 3.73's, o/r h-pipe, 2 chamber flowies, pro 5.0 shifter, 9mm wires, and autometer gauges. I plan on keeping it mostly stock. I love it :D