What are you getting for fuel mileage in your 302?

fawcett

Sep 10, 2003
Cohasset, Ma
What MPG's are you getting from your 302?

I've been getting more and more let down at the fuel pump.
Average MPG's are around 12.5 mixed city/highway driving.
Mods are in my sig, I thought I'd be doing much better with 'just a 302' and the t-56 but I'm not :(

What do mildly modded carb'd 302 and 351's average when driven responsibly?

I'm sick of the computer screwing with driveability, it seems as if its more trouble than its worth for our 94-95 years...

• Sponsors (?)

high teens (18 or so) on average...not always keeping my foot out of it. I hope to take a nice long road trip to see if I can get 20+ on the highway with cruise.

Do you have a tune? Sub 15 with your setup seems a bit off.

Sub-15's also sounds pretty bad. My Cobra clone averages 17-18 depending on how much freeway driving and stop-n-go traffic I hit. My red GT gets a little less, maybe 16-17. However, the GT has a bit of a rough idle that I'm troubleshooting, It's probably not burning the fuel as well as it should.

I agree with getting a tune. You can get a modded 302 to purr like a kitten and still get decent gas mileage if you tune it right. The computer is only a dog 'cause of the conservative tune that Ford put in it, to try and keep warranty claims down. You also should make sure you don't have any error codes stored in the computer, clean the MAF, fix any vacuum leaks, etc.

I'm sick of the computer screwing with driveability, it seems as if its more trouble than its worth for our 94-95 years...

I'm not trying to be a wise guy or show disrespect
but
If the sensors and pcm are working correctly

You will get better driveability and gas mileage WITH them
than WITHOUT them

You can't tune the old school carb for ALL the different driving conditions
like you can with the 94-95 setup

Not saying you can't make a carb work good :nono:
but
Am saying the sensors/pcm can be optimum for all different conditions :nice:

With the carb ........
you'll be more optimum for a narrow range of driving :nice:
and be less optimum for the rest of the range :notnice:

The pcm can be setup for maximum efficiency during closed loop or
light load driving conditions and gas usage is quite small

then

You use the pcm tables for WOT and it rips for max power

You get the best of both and everywhere in between :banana:

Now ... You do need someone with some skill
or
Learn yourself to get the 94-95 setup to work well with your mods

I can get 20 mpg on the road at 70 mph :)
but
I get terrible gas milage around town :bang:

When around town, I just can't keep my foot off the skinny pedal :D

Makes no diff to me as my Stang is just a weekend toy :shrug:

Have you ever considered getting your Stang tuned?

Grady

You guys are all right, I couldn't agree with you more on a tune. I'm finally at a point financially where I can get one done but I have no idea where to go or what works best with our pcm.

I live just south of Boston Ma. but I don't know how to find a proper shop to get the job done. Could someone please help point me in the right direction?

Also, I'm worried about the possibility of hiring a shop to do the job thats done thousands of tunes before but just not one for a 94-95....You know what I mean? I think these pcm's are more difficult to work with than most.

Thank you,
Fawcett

check out the regional forums and ask in there. i was impressed with my car after i got the tune ironed out. i'm getting 15-16 highway which makes me happy for what i have done to the car.

All you gotta do is ask for references who have a 94 or 95 :D

Sure ... More peeps will be more familiar with the Fox pcm

BUT

The 94-95 pcm is not all that difficult to tune :nono:
but
It certainly is different from the Fox ;)

Grady

I will start off by saying that I top off my gas tank with every fill up. (yeah I know, the world is gonna stop and reverse rotation if I do that yeah, yeah, yeah)

According to my Mileage app on the phone..... (It has been a reliable record keeper)

Average distance between fill-ups
-295.25 miles

Fuel economy (averages out of a tank!)
- average 19.83
- best 21.74
- worst 18.31

I do lots of freeway driving. I use the Mustang more to take me to and from work because it's marginally better on gas than my Ranger, and it's older and cheaper to operate. Plus it's more fun than the truck. Now, on a typical day I drive about 64 miles a day round trip for work, and all but about 2 miles of that is freeway.

I am typically around 85%/15% freeway/city mix of driving with the car. In the city, mileage will drop like a stone! I will get around 14-15mpg on the streets. The freeway obviously I get a little better and I figure it's around the 22-23 range if you want to break it down like that. FWIW, I typically drive around 70-80 on the freeway so it's not being hypermiled.

I believe the charts above to be pretty accurate. Averaged out of a tank the car typically gets in the 18.5-19.5 mpg range with my "normal" driving habits. Dip into the gas a little too much and mileage will just go to crap.