What can you tell me about these pistons?

• Sponsors (?)

Then you've got the wrong pistons, for sure. Unless you wanted to lower the compression ratio to start with. That application had a 10.5 to 1 ratio with the correct pistons. This site is usefull in researching pistons http://kb-silvolite.com/index2.php In looking up the Silvolite pistons for a 69 351W, you'll see theirs has 4 reliefs with no dish. It's listed as a 69-71 piston. I have both a 71 and a 72 stock piston and both have a round dish, the 72 dish being a good bit deeper than the 71's. The ratio went from 9.5 to 1 in 71, (if I recall correctly) to 8 to 1 in 72.

D, actually i'm [pretty sure all 351w dish pistons look just like those. some have a deeper dish like these and some have a shallower dish and the early ones have valve reliefs too but for the most part they all look like these.

i've seem some aftermarket ones that have the round dish but they were super cheapo generic ones.

these look almost identical to the factory pistons in the 73 block that i have in the stang except for the lack of valve reliefs. even factory 69 pistons look pretty much like these except for a slightly shallower dish and the valve reliefs. and late 80's and 90's truck pistons look like these too. the only ones i'm not absolutely sure of would be late 70's/early 80's model pistons.

I'll have to take pics of the 71 &72 pistons I have and put em up in my photobucket site. These were for dead certain, originals from the factory. I pulled em myself from the motors.

hmm, i wonder if maybe they were factory replacement or warranty blocks or something like that. i don't doubt you D, it's just that ive never seen any like that, every 351w dish piston i've ever seen looked exactly like these. then again 71-72 351w's had higher compression than the 73 and later 351w's but lower than 69-70 351w's so maybe it's only those 2 years. i know the Ford replacement pistons look just like these. let me do some checking and see if i can find some specs on the 71-72 pistons.