what causes low oil pressure?

Scott W

Founding Member
May 27, 2000
Toronto, Ontario
my car's oil pressure seems to drop when the engine gets warm. It usually dips pretty low at idle and then bumps back up when I give it gas. I've replace the sender. the car has over 300,000kms.

How low can your oil pressure drop and still be safe?

• Sponsors (?)

well i doubt it is oil pump those last for ever unless ur have dirt or sludge in ur motor, but usual is ur bearing clearances on any of ur internals main, journal rod, and cam bearing just the slightest bit off with drop ur pressure way down, and it goes back up when u get on the gas cause u are speeding up the oil pump moving more oil making up for lost pressure make sense

-Steven

As others have said over time bearing clearances open up a little bit, especially 300,000 km, and can cause the oil pressure to drop.

Here is what I like to see for oil pressure #s. I like at least 20 psi at hot idle and then a 10 psi increase for every 1000 rpm increase. You could probably get away with 10 psi at hot idle but that is a little low for my liking. The rule of thumb is 10 psi for every 1000 rpm.

mine is the same way, usually between the A and L at hot idle. but while driving its up in the 3/4 range on the stock gauge. in 5th gear doing 30-35mph though itll get back in the lower 1/4 area.