What color would you paint 'em?

BigmacK192

Apr 8, 2009
Chicago.
I don't have money for new rims and rubber, so I've decided that I'd paint my ole' turbines. They're pretty beat up and dirty right now, but I've searched and found quite a few threads on prep, paint, and maintenance. I've been looking at those and I now know how I'm going to do it.

The purpose of this thread is this. I need to figure out what colors. Attached is an image I found of a turbine that had been painted all black with red accents on the spokes. Not crazy for this on a white car, but these were a few color combo's I had floating around in my head:

Black with aluminum accents (sanding off the paint to bare metal, then clear coating it)
Black with white accents
White with black accents
All white

Keep in mind, this is going on the fox in my signature. White body, black "MUSTANG GT" inlays with a black stripe on the moldings. I want it to pop, but most importantly, look better than the beat up look they carry now. I am getting new wheels and rubber down the road, after a 5 lug conversion, but these will be on it for a few years.

Opinions guys?

Attachments

• wheelpaint.JPG
    wheelpaint.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Sponsors (?)

I'm against white. Not sure you could make it look good on those wheels.

You could do a modern metal flake silver paint like what Ford uses on their new vehicles. That would be a subtle touch that would look really good in the sun.

You could also do flat dark gray spokes with a polished lip. Is the center section plastic? I can't remember. If it's metal you could polish that, too.

Back in the day I painted mine silver with gunmetal inlays just to be a bit different. I couldn't find any colour combos that really look good with turbines so I did that. I don't have any real good pics of it, the gunmetal always seemed darker in pics than in person but I thought it looked half-decent.

5760760042_medium.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/576076/3

That's not bad at all right there. I got a look at those pics on your cardomain page. That might be a winning combo.

I like them painted black with the tops of the fins sanded off as well as the outter lip. I think on the right car they look pretty good.

Here's a pic...they don't look the best on this car because of the pizza cutter tires but i think if they had some fat tires all around they wouldn't look half bad.

View attachment 222787

I like them painted black with the tops of the fins sanded off as well as the outter lip. I think on the right car they look pretty good.

Here's a pic...they don't look the best on this car because of the pizza cutter tires but i think if they had some fat tires all around they wouldn't look half bad.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee275/EVIL85SSP/turbinesblack.jpg

That might not be a bad route to go. I really want to do something with black because of my inlays and molding stripe. I think it'd pop pretty well.

I'd say silver is the safe route to go. Especially since your car has a plain white rapper. If you try two tone or a non traditional color you take a risk without those colors on your car.

Damn, I'm sorry, but turbines have to be the ugliest Mustang wheels of all time. Not just Foxes, but ALL Mustangs. Ever.

Mister Bigmack, maybe you should be on the lookout for a set of Ponys. I've seen them go for 200 or so with tires.

That is another option too. If I can find a set maybe, but I was planning on keeping these on for a good while until I can do my 5 lug conversion...and then spring for a set of FR-500's.

Looks like right now, It'd be a straight silver shoot. But I might try a gray inlay on the inner parts of the rim and keep the rest light. I'm not sure.