What do these engine codes mean?

aggie0227

May 10, 2005
I have been having trouble with my mustang making pinging noises. I went to Autozone and the decoded service engine light spit out the codes P0401 and P0402. I have also been getting horrible gas milage. It is a 2002 mustang with the V6 engine. Any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

thanks for the listing. Any suggestions on what might be wrong with the car? The guy at Autozone was trying to sell me a new ERG system but I thought I would take a look around the internet first.

The list of possible causes for both of your codes is very long, however both of them basically point to the EGR valve sticking open or closed, plugged hose, or improper vacuum hose connections.

It could be the DPFE sensor or the ERG flow regulator. The computer tells the regulator to open or close the egr valve. The DPFE senses egr flow by changes in vacuum pressure. This tells the computer that the egr valve is actually open or close. Also check for vacuum leaks. Good luck Pearl02.

aggie0227 said:
thanks for the listing. Any suggestions on what might be wrong with the car? The guy at Autozone was trying to sell me a new ERG system but I thought I would take a look around the internet first.

it needs a DPFE sensor. ford had a recall on these. do not waste your money on a egr valve or anything else. you may be covered under the recall. if you want i can find out for you with your vin number and mileage. ( i am a ford tech i can find out for you on oasis)

the dpfe sensons always go bad on the V6 models. if you look on the egr tube you will see two rubber hoses coming off it. at the top is a small square sensor.. if you unplug it and take the hoses off and tap it against your hand, you will get some water out of it. thats what causes the problem. they get condensation build up. then they give false readings.

well anyways it's very easy too replace all you have too do is plug the hoses in right.. fat hose too fat port. skinny hose too skinny port.