What Do You Do To Keep Mice Out?

screamin gt

5 Year Member
Apr 9, 2007
central CT
I've tried moth balls, dryer sheets, decon, etc. No matter what come spring I have acorns on my intake manifold.

And I have a temp controlled garage where it winters over. Just want to see what everyone else does, as before you know it it will be snowing.

• Sponsors (?)

You tried already but, I used moth balls diluted in hot water in a spray bottle.

Squirrels used to like to play in my cowl hood chewing spark plug wires. Sprayed it down and no more problems.

All of the "tricks" (moth balls, dryer sheets, etc) to get rid of them are mostly old wives tales or temporary solutions.

Do an inspection of the garage and figure out how are they getting in, what food/attractants are bringing them in, and where are they living?

The only long term solutions that control the issue are:
1) Sanitation - eliminate all food sources, seal trash cans
2) Housekeeping - eliminate all debris (stacked wood, building supplies, clean any attic/garage areas of places for nests)
3) Structural maintenance - seal all cracks / holes to less than 1/4 inch. Inspect all vents/Windows/doors and fix all gaps to that size.

After the above three are optimized then trap away. Here is a simple run down: http://www.victorpest.com/mouse-trap-mistakes

Reactions: 1 user
All of the "tricks" (moth balls, dryer sheets, etc) to get rid of them are mostly old wives tales or temporary solutions.

Do an inspection of the garage and figure out how are they getting in, what food/attractants are bringing them in, and where are they living?

The only long term solutions that control the issue are:
1) Sanitation - eliminate all food sources, seal trash cans
2) Housekeeping - eliminate all debris (stacked wood, building supplies, clean any attic/garage areas of places for nests)
3) Structural maintenance - seal all cracks / holes to less than 1/4 inch. Inspect all vents/Windows/doors and fix all gaps to that size.

After the above three are optimized then trap away. Here is a simple run down: http://www.victorpest.com/mouse-trap-mistakes
I'm not really sure they get in while it in the garage. I leave it outside a lot when I'm driving it often and then park it for the winter in the garage. I have a lot of rock walls around my property that I think attracts the critters quite a bit.