What do you guys think about this crack in my A4 block

My dad is a pipe fitter and welds for a living and he said he doesn't see any reason that it can't be repaired, though he's not in the business of reparing engin blocks. He seems to think that if you "V out" all along the crack, then heat it up and try to close the crack a little, then weld in the crack it should be fine, escpecially since it's not a high stress area.

• Sponsors (?)

We send motors and transmissions to our welder all the time and they weld cracks in the blocks/bell housings. They won't need to build anything. they just need to clamp the remaining peice in place and weld the cracks.

So my dad showed the block to a good friend who is an extremely good welder, and he said that he could fix the crack without too much trouble.

So what he did was take a grinder and "V" the area of the crack out, grind down till the crack stopped and then filled it with weld and filed it down. It hink it turned out pretty dang good and I really don't think I'll have any problems with it.

Thanks for all the input you guys gave as well.

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0633.jpg
    IMG_0633.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0635.jpg
    IMG_0635.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0639.jpg
    IMG_0639.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 59
I don't think you'll have any problems. If that was a main stud or something i wouldn't have bothered but i don't think that's an area of high stress. Then again i'm no block expert either.

looks good....make sure that weld up spot does not interfere with the deck of the block. Otherwise the head is not going to want to sit right on it and it might need to be decked!

Yeah, we filed it flush with the deck and used a tool steel straitght edge to check, but the machine shop still might want to deck it, I hope not though since it's arleady o-ringed.