What does a bad throwout bearing sound like?

Tanus

Dec 11, 2009
A to the Z
What does a bad throwout bearing sound like?
My car makes a rattle under hard acceleration, high rpm, and its louder when its cold, once car is at opperating temp its not as loud. Thinking it might be the TOB

It also makes another tick, sounds exactly like an exhaust leak, but definatly not an exhaust leak. Both noises started about the same time (this one first, that one like a week later) and both are louder when cold. Kinda think this might be a bad head gasket, but I dont have the chocolate milk oil and no oil in coolant either. Working on borrowing a compression tester

any tips are greatly appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

it sounds like time and money :rlaugh:

but seriously, i would check all the mounts spec. the trans for rattling under hard accel. can you isolate the area of the rattle ? checked for the noise parked in neutral holding rpms see if engine / trans related?
Its a fox so it could be a million things coming apart or loose that rattle, try to narrow the area. E-brake bouncing off the driveshaft?

Good luck

I had a TOB go bad in my 5.0 a long time ago and it made a chirping sound, when I would just lay my foot on the clutch it would stop, and when I removed my foot from the clutch it would start chirping again, at idle and driving as well, I had the TOB replaced and the chirping went away.

Good luck with this, and I hope this helped.

ya im not 100% sure but normally youll hear a sqeaking sound or "chirping" sound like he said when its your TOB. as for ticking get in there with a fine tooth comb my friend =)

but seriously, i would check all the mounts spec. the trans for rattling under hard accel. can you isolate the area of the rattle ? checked for the noise parked in neutral holding rpms see if engine / trans related?

Good luck

only does it under load.

I already pulled the valve covers off to see if I had a super loose rocker or something but everything looked good, guess Im gonna take off the lower manifold and see if the lifter/retainer are normal, IDK its pissing me off

gonna chage the throwout bearing too, I remember when I got the centerforce DF clutch the TOB it came with didnt fit as good as the old one, so I left the old one on, so its gotta be like 10 years old at least.

Typcial sign of a bad TOB is when the car is idling in neutral you can here a sort of empty rattling/soft grinding sound (others have called it chirping). In any event, as soon as you step on the clutch the sound immediately stops and restarts as soon as you take your foot off the clutch again.

They typically start as a chirping that can be controlled with the clutch pedal, but then it morphs into a swirling sound that can be modulated by the clutch pedal. Notice I said modulated...you can change the pitch and tone to a point with the clutch, but it's always there...sounding like a rod spinning inside a hollow tube with no lubrication whatsoever. That's what it sounds like to me. And worse when it's cold...almost goes away completely when hot.

well Im starting to think its not the TOB, I pulled the tranny mount and its kinda bad, rubber is still intact, but the new one I got is like 1/4 taller than the old one. Im gonna put it in anyway and hopefully it doesnt cause in driveshaft alinment issues.

A new mount won't cause you any trouble. A little more angle could actually benefit the U Joints. I have to say I think you are experiencing detonation. If it's happening under load at high RPMs, it's almost guaranteed to be detonation. Cure? Higher Octane (Octane is anti-knock) or back off on your timing.

your right dude, that didnt even come to my mind at first cause I hadnt changed anything to cause it to ping. Backed it off 2 degrees and its good to go. I think what happened is the gas stations changed to their summer mix's

So that problem solved, the rattle was solved by the tranny mount. Car is running like a champ now, gonna hit the drag strip tomorrow as long as I can get my drag radials mounted, hoping for a 12.5 at 110 with a 1.8, thats my prediction, haha, havnt ran it in 6 years... so we'll see