What Does Detonation Feel Like?

You just did head gaskets no? Obviously the car needs to get on a dyno and be gone through tune up wise to make sure its ok or i think youre going to be in the same boat again.

Whats the fuel system consist of again?

Yes, just did head gaskets along with engine rebuild. Drove it around today for the first time. I have not stomped on it yet. Kept rpms limited to 3500 so far. Everything is great so far. I do plan on dyno tune eventually but my parts for the initial SC install including calibrated (speced by All Out) Pro M MAF and SCT chip pre-tuned by All Out. I'm sure tweaking the tune may improve things but I can be drastically off the mark as it is now.

Got 340 fuel pump and 30lb injectors. I know, injectors are on the small side of things but before the rebuild my PLX wideband was reading mid to low 11's in the A/F mixture at WOT. Injectors are maxed but getting the job done with the FP turned up a few lbs. Have not pushed it for the rebuild yet but none of that was changed so I'm expecting similar. I used thicker (.066) Cometic gaskets this time. This made up the difference for the milling work to head and block and it will lower the cylinder pressures some by increasing combustion chamber volume. I'm hoping that will aid in fending off possible detonation. But like I said, I have not pushed it yet so I don't know if detonation will even be a problem. Before I think my main problem was warped deck.

I never heard detonation on my previous setup but I'm certainly going to be listening for it after spending all this money.

I see that some people use microphones in the engine compartment to listen for knock. I got to thinking about that and came up with this idea. I found a 12v powered stand alone microphone designed for use in home security systems. Easy install since the car system is 12v. My block does have the mounting hole for the knock sensors that were used on the F150. I'm going to position the mic right near that mounting hole. To listen, I'll run a line from the mic jack and plug it into my head unit 1/8" aux input and listen through the car stereo speakers. Of course not always but for testing now and then. It will cost me $25. What do you think? >> http://www.cctvcamerapros.com/Produ...gclid=CLvrmfbAttECFU1XDQodUGgIXA#installation

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I doubt the tune is way off then or off at all . I thought you were getting it already .

The reason why I doubt it's off is because Kris has tuned my car both times and I beat it like it owes me money .... and it's fine .

Yes, just did head gaskets along with engine rebuild. Drove it around today for the first time. I have not stomped on it yet. Kept rpms limited to 3500 so far. Everything is great so far. I do plan on dyno tune eventually but my parts for the initial SC install including calibrated (speced by All Out) Pro M MAF and SCT chip pre-tuned by All Out. I'm sure tweaking the tune may improve things but I can be drastically off the mark as it is now.

Got 340 fuel pump and 30lb injectors. I know, injectors are on the small side of things but before the rebuild my PLX wideband was reading mid to low 11's in the A/F mixture at WOT. Injectors are maxed but getting the job done with the FP turned up a few lbs. Have not pushed it for the rebuild yet but none of that was changed so I'm expecting similar. I used thicker (.066) Cometic gaskets this time. This made up the difference for the milling work to head and block and it will lower the cylinder pressures some by increasing combustion chamber volume. I'm hoping that will aid in fending off possible detonation. But like I said, I have not pushed it yet so I don't know if detonation will even be a problem. Before I think my main problem was warped deck.

I never heard detonation on my previous setup but I'm certainly going to be listening for it after spending all this money.

I see that some people use microphones in the engine compartment to listen for knock. I got to thinking about that and came up with this idea. I found a 12v powered stand alone microphone designed for use in home security systems. Easy install since the car system is 12v. My block does have the mounting hole for the knock sensors that were used on the F150. I'm going to position the mic right near that mounting hole. To listen, I'll run a line from the mic jack and plug it into my head unit 1/8" aux input and listen through the car stereo speakers. Of course not always but for testing now and then. It will cost me $25. What do you think? >> http://www.cctvcamerapros.com/Produ...gclid=CLvrmfbAttECFU1XDQodUGgIXA#installation

It'll allow you to hear more than if you were just sitting in the drivers seat. I'm putting a knock sensor on my car. Its hard to tell what noises are what. Especially when a lot of the frequencies can't be heard by the human ear.

The mic will help...you will hear things you've never heard before. A buddy of mine let me listen to his knock sensor. Amazing....that's all I can say.