What does everyone do for a living and how do you like it? (Career Search) Part 1

I am on my 3rd year as an accounting major at the University of South Florida. I am pretty good at accounting, and doing very well in classes. Only problem is, I can not see myself as being an accountant for the rest of my life. I started accounting because I felt it would be something good to know in the future as someday I plan on running my own business and being my own boss.

As part one of my career search, I would like to know:
*What you guys do for a living
*What do you like about it
*What your daily/weekly duties include
*What do you dislike about it
*What did you have to do to get where you are now (internships, schooling, previous jobs, etc)
*How much you make per year (if you would like to give up that information)
*Any other info you could give me. Perks of the job, vacation time, time away from home/family, ANYTHING

Thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)

right now i'm doing web design for myself. it's kinda scary since i'm the one doing everything, but it's good to be thrown/forced into a challenging position and finding a way to overcome it.

nothing like being your own boss, and working from home is a huge perk! i get to drive around if i get bored and talk to my clients about their sites and what not. my schedule is flexible (took 3 days off last week to finish my car, and one today to go out of town for an interview) and i get to take photos and come up w/ company logos and designs for stuff they have going on.

i dislike the security of just starting something on your own, which is why i'm still applying to other jobs. being fresh out of school is great 'cause you know you're done, but finding the right job is what i'm having trouble with.

I'm an electrical engineer. I design then field-manage the installation of wind power sites.

I'm not stuck behind a desk like most engineers. I'm in the field about 1/3 the time.

Detailed design of transmission and distribution facilities for wind parks and substations. If I'm in the field I do a lot of walk downs as environmental concerns are all important in construction of power plants of any kind.

Working outside when its below zero with the windchill. Dealing with hyper aggressive type A personality construction managers who want to prove theirs is bigger. Living out of a suitcase for long periods of time.

*What did you have to do to get where you are now (internships, schooling, previous jobs, etc)

I got my degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering in 2005. I interned at National Grid doing transmission and distribution work during college.

As of Jan 18th, I make 72,978 per year.

*Any other info you could give me. Perks of the job, vacation time, time away from home/family, ANYTHING

I enjoy the traveling on occassion, but sometimes it wears thin. I lived out of a suitcase for 5 weeks in June. Travel really heats up during construction season, which makes it hard to take vacations with the girl friend. I really enjoy the pay though, which is not typical of what an engineer 2 years out of school would make. This is good because I footed the bill for college on my own and my student loans are signifcant. $730 per month. My company is great in that you are rewarded on ability. Age or seniority has nothing to do with it.

Good luck with the accounting. Seems like accountants salaries increase exponentially the closer they live to a city.

Adam

I am a full time student. I am studying to become and automotive instructor, and also work full time as a technician for Chrysler. I hate the technician part but its my stepping stone to becoming a teacher. 3 1/2 years to go though.

- i am a software developer for 3M-HIS

- the pay is good, 9-5 hours, no pager, blue jean and a polo shirt
- and i am a geek, so i like this kind of stuff

- enhance current programs, design and implement new software, debug client issues

- sitting at a desk all day every day can sometimes make it hard to stay motivated

- undergrad degree in computer science

- $140,000 per year after 23 years

- Structural Engineer, going for Engineering License plus Certified Building Official

- I like construction and seeing my designs built and functioning and I like ripping up other people's designs in plan review. All I can say is that the public is lucky they have someone double checking these structures before they're built!

- Structural design, plan review, building code enforcement

- Deadlines, stress and crappy initial pay

- BS Degree in Civil Engineering (Structural emphasis)

- $50k after 3 years experience. I started out of school in 05 at $34k. I could pull $120k if I can land a Building Official position for the city (requires 8-10 years experience though). The typical pay in this region for a registered civil engineer is in the $60-70k range and a principal of an engineering firm will expect around $100k plus mucho benefits, write-offs and fat bonuses. It may sound sweet to a lot, but the cost of living here is higher than many places. My pay would be equivalent to something like 30k in the midwest and certain parts of the east and north east. As a reference, I bought my house for $183k and it's only 1260 sq.f.t.

I'm constantly thinking of other ways to make money though . . . my current goal is to figure out how to double my income. Going into Pharmacy would be one way to do it.

I'm a medical sales representative for the largest distributor for physicians in the US.

I make my own schedule, I have no cap in terms of my earning potential, its as close to earning my own business as I think you can get without having all of the overhead, I develop long term relationships with my accounts which makes my daily meetings with them more like going to see friends than "work."

I place orders for my accounts for everything from bandages, vaccines, EKG machines to ultrasounds and laboratory instruments, I show them new innovative products and solutions to enhance profitability and patient outcomes, I show them ways to be more profitable and inform them of constantly changing reimbursement issues, help them with inventory management, provide medical record and billing services, etc. I'm basically a one stop shop to help physicians better their practice from nearly every aspect.

Not much... the only thing I wish i could change is that I'd get reimbursed for some of my expenses. I'm paid on 100% commission which means I have to pay for my own cell phone, car, gas, office supplies, etc. The good side to this though is that we are not micro-managed due to the nature of our jobs, and if they were to pay for our fuel, etc I'm sure they would manage us more.

My job requires a 4yr degree and sales experience is always a plus. A strong work ethic is key as its up to you to get your butt out of bed everyday and work since no one is watching to see what time you start and end your day.

I'd rather not say but I started out making a little over $30K/year and I've increased every year since, I've been doing this for 7yrs now. My company claims that the average pay for reps is approx 120K/year, but I can tell you that is not the norm at my branch. I think that average is inflated somewhat by the top reps in the company as we have many making $300-$500K/year.

Like I said, I make my own schedule, I see "my friends" everyday, I'm not stuck in a structured 9-5 job, I'm home every night and I don't work on weekends, we have great sales incentives (I won a trip last year for my wife and I where we went to the Emmy awards and stayed at the Beverly Wilshire), the harder I work the more I make.

Logistics Coordinator for CRST Logistics

Pleasant work environment, constant challenges

I have two Oil-Dri plants in Mississippi that I coordinate the freight shipments out of to deliver all over the country.

About 95% of drivers I talk to on a given day can hardly spell their names. Im amazed at how some even obtained their CDL... It can get frustrating.

I only have 2 years of college under my belt, but also had sales experience to get my foot in the door. My position is supposed to require a 4 year degree.

Keep in mind Im in Iowa where jobs pay in beans and cows, but I make $30k. Other positions in my office offer commission, so there is room for improvement thank God.

I have a surprising amount of eye candy in my office, you never would think pretty girls would like talking to truckers... Job provides two weeks paid vacation after your first full year of employment. Full benefits available immediately after hiring. I work mon-fri, 0700-1600 with an hour lunch break. Weekends off.

I am on my 3rd year as an accounting major at the University of South Florida. I am pretty good at accounting, and doing very well in classes. Only problem is, I can not see myself as being an accountant for the rest of my life. I started accounting because I felt it would be something good to know in the future as someday I plan on running my own business and being my own boss.

I am an Auditor

Like analyzing processes etc. and putting the pieces of the puzzle together to tell the story

I used to audit utility companies but now I audit management program processes and contracts

I sometimes don't like to putting the working papers together

BS degree (haha) and hard work

North of 6 figures

Have every other Friday off of work. I can take off pretty much anytime I want. Earn/have over 448 annual leave hours per year (vacation time) and unlimited sick leave can be earned. Travel every now and again to sh$#%$#%ty places and nice places (Puerto Rico, Florida etc.)

Thanks guys!

There are different areas you can work in the accounting field. Plus you can do side jobs such as taxes, preparation of accounting books and records, teach etc. It's good to know if you don't do it but why go thru it if you don't use it?

My side gig is doing income taxes. That's a gold mine.

Working two jobs
First job is full time sales associate at Sears (Electronics)
Second job I work part time for Offroad Motorsports (3 major jeep websites for rock climbers to the basic replacement part stuff and 1 for side by sides like the yamaha rhinos).
First job: its easy and I love electronics so I have a lot of fun playing with new tv's, cameras,sound systems, etc.
Second job: I get to work with two of my best friends since I was a little kid and I also get to do things like inspecting the electrical harnesses for my bosses LS-2 crate motor for his rock crawler
First Job: Mainly selling an interacting to our customers, keeping up to date on the latest information that we carry, taking care of misc. problems for customers.
Second Job: Talking to vendors and getting our websites cost for their products also to write spreadsheets with competitors pricing and mark up for all the vendors we use. I also have to help the boss with anything he asks me to do such as working any of his numerous jeeps.
First Job: Really I love it the only thing is waiting on a promotion
Second Job: The pay isn't that great but I've just started so it will get better and quite possibly become my real career after college
Actually all I have to do is continue going to college and that helps me keep the second job.
both jobs combined will put me up around 35K a year and get vacation anytime I want.
Thanks guys![/QUOTE]

I go to school part time and have these two jobs to support us and pay for schooling. My wife is in nursing school then she will start nurse pract. school soon afterwards.
I get to go back full time to finish my degree in a year and a half after he grads from nursing school.

- i am a software developer for 3M-HIS

- the pay is good, 9-5 hours, no pager, blue jean and a polo shirt
- and i am a geek, so i like this kind of stuff

- enhance current programs, design and implement new software, debug client issues

- sitting at a desk all day every day can sometimes make it hard to stay motivated

- undergrad degree in computer science

- $140,000 per year after 23 years

Holey crap, u make some $$$$$....no wonder u got a 410...

I'm an electrical engineer. I design then field-manage the installation of wind power sites.

I'm not stuck behind a desk like most engineers. I'm in the field about 1/3 the time.

Detailed design of transmission and distribution facilities for wind parks and substations. If I'm in the field I do a lot of walk downs as environmental concerns are all important in construction of power plants of any kind.

Working outside when its below zero with the windchill. Dealing with hyper aggressive type A personality construction managers who want to prove theirs is bigger. Living out of a suitcase for long periods of time.

I got my degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering in 2005. I interned at National Grid doing transmission and distribution work during college.

As of Jan 18th, I make 72,978 per year.

I enjoy the traveling on occassion, but sometimes it wears thin. I lived out of a suitcase for 5 weeks in June. Travel really heats up during construction season, which makes it hard to take vacations with the girl friend. I really enjoy the pay though, which is not typical of what an engineer 2 years out of school would make. This is good because I footed the bill for college on my own and my student loans are signifcant. $730 per month. My company is great in that you are rewarded on ability. Age or seniority has nothing to do with it.

Good luck with the accounting. Seems like accountants salaries increase exponentially the closer they live to a city.

Adam

damnn..congrates......$$$$$

I'm a flight engineer in the Air Force

The flying part is really cool, like being on a roller coaster for hours on end..doing the airlift mission in the desert is cool, picking up the Army guys after their 15 month tours and taking them home is great. I'm in school for "special operations" now, gonna quit the airlift and get into sneaky stuff, so far these new planes and the mission description is pretty badass. Of course we're not the badest MFer's out there, but they'll be riding in the back waiting to jump out and wreck something

Usually fly three times a week, show up at the office for a few hours on the no fly days...also deploy quite q bit...whole other story.

As mentioned the Air Force part gets dumb every now and then....it's not bad as long as you stay on top of what you need to do, then no one bothers you

walked into a recruiters office one day..signed up, been having a blast since, as far as being an FE, it has pre-req's, I was an aircraft/engine mechanic for ten years prior to crossing over

search for military pay charts....it's not much. but those charts are base pay...on top of that you get a housing allowance(house payment), sustinence allowance(food), clothing allowance (to replace uniforms, usually 400 a year), I get flight pay, health insurance is free, tuition assistance (9000/yr ie college is free), and I get a healthy chunk of change for deploying...and I don't pay taxes in combat zones....add it all up and it turns into a pretty sweet deal, I think...

Military can be a sweet deal, ( I'm by no means trying to sell it to you here)
I enlisted after working and going to night school for a few years after HS, then decided to split, wanted to move to germany, AF was the cheapest wat to do it and I did it. Original plan was 4 yrs, but 12 later it's still fun, and only getting better. Perks, free college, guaranteed paycheck, free healthcare, see the world, mind you some places you don't really wanna see, but the pro's usually outweigh the con's...all kinds of good stuff. Guess the real drawback is the chance of paying for it with your life, but I' don't really think about that....and I spend alot of time away form home, some more than others, me because of soem of the programs I'm involved in. 30 days (paid) vacation a year, I usually take a week off every other month. When it's not fun anymore is when I'm out of it.

Graphic Designer (Art Director)

I like designing and being original, so with my job I can do just that. I also like the fact that the it isn't the same old grind everyday, your always working on something different.

Designing and overseeing other designers to job the particular job done. Also client contact.

Sitting behind a desk, inside, all the time. That and daydreaming about cars all day (would rather be working at a custom car shop) but that would be my dream job, so its not like I have regrets doing what I am doing. Being Art Director, I take the sh** is something goes wrong. Its hard dealing with other coworkers when they don't deliver what you feel they should. Also being a smaller firm, I can just oversee and make things run smooth (which would be nice) but I also have to put out just as much work as everyone else, but on top of that I have to keep up on project deadlines, client communication, and meeting company and project goals, you know, all the stuff the other designers don't have to worry about.

2 years vocational school in high school, 2 years community college, ran my own business for 5 years.

Well, I make less than alot on here. $35k a year but with insurance and such it totals about $42k. I wish I saw that cash, lol. I wish I had some of the income others have on here, I would be build one hot car after another. I takes every dime I have now to have what I have, and I'm always short on money to do what I want.

M-F 9-5. 2 weeks paid vacation. 20 mins from work. Flex time, so it makes life easy if I have to leave early or show up late. Being an Arit Director, I am basically incharge (which is the way I would want it to be) but there definately is pressure to deliver.

work in Vendor mngmnt for Citimortgage

learn a good bit about the business and ops support end dealing with Appraisal and Title aspects. Laid back for the most part

place title orders, manage day to day relationship of a off shore team in India, resolve special issues with title/appraisal approvals, run special reports for higher up mngmt., work in access a good bit, and work on intergration issues and help manage the database.

I have only been with the company since I graduated the University of Missouri in 05. With the industry as it is the last thing I want to do is promote myself out of a job. I have taken every chance to push myself and have learned a great deal though.

*What did you have to do to get where you are now (internships, schooling,
I have all kinds of education...1 class shy of a graphic design degree, have a double in comm. theory and mass comm., 3 or so classes short of a psych degree, 1 class short of a minor in Crim. Justice. No internships, I wish I could have gotten a good one but everyone I know that graduated with me or close to me even moans about the lousy internship options here in my city. One guy was one of the top acturial (sp?) grads in the nation and could not stay in the city.

I started about as low as one can at the company (literally the worst dept. in the worst area of the company) in the first 18mo I had earned a 33% pay increase and hope to transfer/promote up again in May. The dept. I may move into next has a better base pay and a really nice bonus system as well. I would even consider a better possiton in my currant dept. if one becomes avail.

Still do not make much of anything 25-26k a year at this time (take home). The wife and I are both VERY thrifty and manage our money well. I am more or less paying my dues right now.

Great company to work for (well the industry kinda sucks right now). Insane match on my 401k with TONS of options, pension, great selection of healthcare options, starting with about 28 days of vacation, I got a nice stock bonus, all kinds of discounts at places. Free Earnst and Young advise on anything realted to money and X plan on Ford products.

not as many auto related jobs as i expected when i read the title.

i'm still in school, and i'm in the boat of what i'm going to do when i get out.

right now i'm completing my final year of auto collision and repair.I'm one of the top kids in the class, and most likely the one being sent to the skills USA comp from my school. Its fun, but i have a feeling after 2 years in the field [when i can take the test to be certified] i'm going to go back to school for mechanic work.

I really enjoy working with my hands.

i haven't gone out and worked in the field, just working at a technical school.

one thing i don't like is the time your waiting for the paint to dry to do another coat, waiting for bondo to dry, etc. just the time your just sitting there waiting. I can't just stand around waiting for my project to be ready.

this april i plan on buying a 302 block and just building it from the ground up. I really enjoy twisting wrenches, so this will probably help me decide if i want to go into the auto mechanic field. i'm still learning about how everything works, but i've been reading almost everyday about different things and my interest in the subject is only growing stronger.

Full time student at the Citadel, been making ends meet for the past 7 years working on cars at my Dads auto repair shop whenever im out of school. Hoping to get in with DNR as a Game Warden as soon as i graduate in may however. Pay isnt great but the benefits are and I would rather do something that makes me happy than do something just for money

Work as a contractor for SAP America in the Data Center Asset Mangement/Logistics team

working in the data center and pretty much running the team as i see fit.

monitor all server tickets, inventory management, processes changes, stangnet and ebay

its either feast or famine. past three weeks i've done maybe a total of 4 hours of actual work a week. the fact that i'm a contractor and get the shaft every day. no company provided benefits.

*What did you have to do to get where you are now (internships, schooling,
not much of anything at the moment. i have a BS in information systems and technology pretty much going to waste at the moment.

just got a raise but still slightly under 50k. which is really frustrating because i know everybody else makes at least 10k more as an employee and gets good benefits.

Server and data center stuff is great to get into and can get you a boat load of money but you have to know your stuff. right now, i'm more of the management side of things and don't deal with much of the technical at all which isn't what i want.