What DRs to get?

Ya I think Im going to end up getting the MT Street Radials. Also, I dont have a stock clutch, I have a SPEC Stage 1. Also, when you launch, do you just rev it to 3k, then when the lights go green, come off the clutch real quick and floor the gas? :shrug: Sorry but Im just not used to that amount of traction. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah I bring up the rpms to ~3k when I'm staged and dump the clutch while simultaneously flooring it. It takes some practice, but you should get used to it pretty quickly. Its actually easier than having tons of spin because you dont have to modulate the throttle as much. Pretty much just pop the clutch and floor it. :)

jtkz13 said:
Yeah I bring up the rpms to ~3k when I'm staged and dump the clutch while simultaneously flooring it. It takes some practice, but you should get used to it pretty quickly. Its actually easier than having tons of spin because you dont have to modulate the throttle as much. Pretty much just pop the clutch and floor it. :)

Alright thanks for clearing that up :nice: . And the stock axles and trans are holding up fine?

DaveB said:
Alright thanks for clearing that up :nice: . And the stock axles and trans are holding up fine?

fyi, your rearend and axles will last longer on a MT DRag radial than on a ET STREET, the ET streets are very heavy when compared to a drag radial tire. i had and et street and when i got my Mickey T drag radials i compared them and the DR's were lighter, this means less stress on all the components. btw, they drive fine on the street and even in the rain, i think they are are better street tires than BFG's, and hook as good if not better.

also, why are you gunna run a 16inch rim?? if you will have a dedicated set of rims for the car, then get a 15inch rim.this would save weight and be better for traction cuz the 16x7 rim on our cars isnt wide enough for a 255 slick/drag radial, they will fit but you will be getting the same traction as a 235 cuz the rim isnt wide enough

get yourself a set of cheapo lightweight 15x8 rims and some 275/50/15 drag radials and you will not only get better traction, but it will be easier on your car. i would recomend some used weld rims but if you cant find any you can buy the american racing rims at 15x8's for 15bux each, they arent much heavyier than my 15x10 welds on my car and they make a good cheap drag rim.

good luck

If I get the 15*8 wheel what size DR should I go with? In all likelyhood Ill probably put them on my stock wheels, it would still work alright, correct? I've been really busy with school and just dont have that much free time to browse for parts.

Im telling you,you will like nittos,they only come in 1 size for 16 inch.And they will last you a while.And there great in the rain.If you go 15 inch,just pull up the web site for the tire and see what sizes they have.I wouldnt go over 26 inches tall.JMO

Last time i was at the track, I was dumping it at 4600 rpms and my nittos were hooking. If I were you, I would probably get bfg. They hook alot better than nittos, but won't last as long. I would take price and life into consideration b/t the MT's and bfg's.

These tires will only be driven to the track and raced, thats it. So I really dont need to worry about wear too much and dont need to worry about how they are in the rain at all. While sitting in class I decided that Im going to use my stock wheels, so its basically between the MTs and BFGs. Still not sure, thing is, the BFGs are about each $25 cheaper. Hmmmmmm :shrug: .

I have 255/50/16 BFG's on my stock 16's and they fit fine. I have aired them down to 17psi, left two black lines and compared that to the 225/55/16's that were previously on front. The 255's were consistently 3cm wider on both sides, so yes it does leave the correct footprint. If you air down the tires too low they will cup in the middle, but he isnt making enough power to have to run below 15 psi.

You cant really go wrong with either tire Dave, they both rock. I would get the MT dr's just because they look cooler. :)

DaveB said:
These tires will only be driven to the track and raced, thats it. So I really dont need to worry about wear too much and dont need to worry about how they are in the rain at all. While sitting in class I decided that Im going to use my stock wheels, so its basically between the MTs and BFGs. Still not sure, thing is, the BFGs are about each $25 cheaper. Hmmmmmm :shrug: .
good luck with that. i had no luck whatsoever with the 16inch/drag radial combo i had, and they mickey's/bfg's are even wider than nitto with the same size, somthing about how they are made, but ive seen them side by side and mounted, (i help out at a shop) but i hope they work out for you. i would recomend some upper and lower CA's if you dont have them already though. please post up your 60 ft's with them im curious, i just ran a 1.7 with a 275-15-50 MT drag radials last nite on their first pass, i cant wait till they get "broken in"

slo95.0 said:
good luck with that. i had no luck whatsoever with the 16inch/drag radial combo i had, and they mickey's/bfg's are even wider than nitto with the same size, somthing about how they are made, but ive seen them side by side and mounted, (i help out at a shop) but i hope they work out for you.

JFYI- I cut mid-low 1.7's with 245-50-16 Nitto DR's, and mid 1.6's on 315-35-17 nitto dr's. I now run 4 yr old 26X10.5X16 ET streets on 16X7 stock "waffle" wheels and I have gone 1.65's already, and that was with a bad clutch. The new clutch is in, so i won't have to worry about it sliping on the launch anymore!!!

I do agree though that if you are starting from scratch, its better to get a 15" wheel and tire combo.

Killercanary said:
JFYI- I cut mid-low 1.7's with 245-50-16 Nitto DR's, and mid 1.6's on 315-35-17 nitto dr's. I now run 4 yr old 26X10.5X16 ET streets on 16X7 stock "waffle" wheels and I have gone 1.65's already, and that was with a bad clutch. The new clutch is in, so i won't have to worry about it sliping on the launch anymore!!!

I do agree though that if you are starting from scratch, its better to get a 15" wheel and tire combo.
i could never do **** with those rims and the same drag radials. but then again, your car is yellow :hail2:

I just got a set of the 255/60R16 BFgoodrich Comp T/A DRs on my old 16" stockers and they improved the car a whole lot. My car has CAI, and 3:55s, and it went from a 14.5 to a 14.2 with only 3 runs. I should be able to go high 13s when I get some practice, so yea, they work fine....not overkill or anything either.

i have 295/35/zr18's BFG DR's and they make nittos feel like Michelins. My opinion but you know what they say about opinions. Also, if your rearend is built to hold up just go with slicks. The t-5 sucks yeah but, you'll break axles and chew gears before the tranny goes.