What Exhaust Do You Have !!

Here's the thing about O/R h and x pipes. Some of you stangers live in states where you don't have to worry about emissions. Personally, I wish I lived in a state that was equally relaxed about this, but I do not.

I am stuck running with Cats, so that I can pass NJ state emissions and get my "You've been a good little boy" inspection sticker.

My only other options in New Jersey are:

A: Tow the car to the track, which seems a little too restrictive. I like being able to take the car cruising around town legally, whenever I want.

B: Make the exhaust modifiable at the track using Y-connectors and plates or a fast removable rear exhaust, which seems too much like work. I go to the track to race, not to play under the car. That is, until something breaks, which will eventually happen. Probably the next time I go, now that I have mentioned it. :bang:

C: Take a chance, drive the car and hope I don't get caught. Risk big money fines. I know guys in NJ that do this. When I was 17 and had an 86 GT, I hollowed out my cats. And I use to walk 15 miles to school in the snow. Yeah, yeah, whatever.

I like my money in my pocket, in my 401k, or being used to purchase more parts. - On that point, some of you stangers aren't even thinking about 401k's yet and you care less about the law. For those of you in this category, I am most envious.

I'll stick with the Cats. Screw the sound and the couple of ponies that I can make up in other emissions legal ways.

Examples that make sense to me include: good aftermarket heads and a matching intake, any super charger, any turbo charger, even a slightly modified cam than stock in some cases, etc...

• Sponsors (?)

juiced_94gt said:
i have mac shorty headers, mac o/r x pipe and a magnaflow cat back, the sound is incredible, kinda like a viper in a way, very exotic.

I couldn't help but notice your location juiced_94gt. I hear they like "smokin them tweeds" around that area, on the other side of town from big worm.

Had MAC shorties on my old car, before a geezer cut me off and totaled my 82' Mercury Capri with 5.0 HO.

They did the trick for me when I had them.

nazstang said:
any bassani guys??!! i have a bassani catback in the garage, but my friend got me a great deal with the mac. anyone like bassani catbacks(he said they sound bad....)

They are great sounding. Sound very intimidating. They are louder then normal cats. I wouldn't change them for anything. If you want I can send you a video clip of my car.

fushnicken said:
I have BBK heat treated long tubes w/ BBK X-pipe and Cats. From there, I'm running FlowMaster 3 chamber exhaust.

I needed to remove the passenger side motor mount and jack the motor up to get the header on, but no big deal. Driver side goes on easy, by moving the steering arm out of the way temporarily. Lining up the X-Pipe with the headers takes some persuation of the foot and leg kind, but they eventually line up and lock together nicely.

I love it. Has a nice low raspy grumble. It's not a bad rasp though. Some people complain about the sound of the X-pipe, but I like it. Once you get on it, man it's fun.

How about drone when goin down the highway or just cruisin ......do you have it?

Later
Grady

I have stock headers, MAC O/R H-pipe, and MAC Catback 2.5" tips. It's rather loud, and there is a noticable 2k RPM drone with the windows closed. It gets a little irritating sometimes, but I like the sound otherwise.

BBK LTs, Dr. Gas offroad X, Dynomax Ultraflow Stainless catback.

I love the exhaust, sounds great. The x-pipe gives it more of a modular sounds to it compared to everyone else around running h-pipes and flows. At idle it sounds....rough, for lack of a better term. I could only imagine what it would sound like with a H/C/I swap :bang: . Cruising its pretty mild sounding, which I like, so I dont get any second looks from police. Once you get on it though, it gets pretty loud (a lot louder than what it sounds like inside). Above 4,000 rpm it screams though, I love it. Doesnt sound like a Mustang at all.

DaveB said:

I love the exhaust, sounds great. The x-pipe gives it more of a modular sounds to it compared to everyone else around running h-pipes and flows. At idle it sounds....rough, for lack of a better term. I could only imagine what it would sound like with a H/C/I swap :bang: . Cruising its pretty mild sounding, which I like, so I dont get any second looks from police. Once you get on it though, it gets pretty loud (a lot louder than what it sounds like inside). Above 4,000 rpm it screams though, I love it. Doesnt sound like a Mustang at all.

eh i wanna hear a clip of this combo, sounds interesting

DaveB said:

doesn't sound like a mustang??? I wouldn't like it...the best part of my exhaust is that it sounds like a mustang...I love how me and my buddies can always tell a stang (5.0, 2v, 4v) just by the exhaust note..no beating the sound of the good ole stang...oh btw just changed my setup yesterday...got a bassani o/r x...I like it wayyyy better than the bbk!!

Project 77 said:
I have the stock manifolds, Mac H pipe with cats (needed for PA inspection) and SLP Loudmouth catback. When at Idle it sounds good, driving there is alot of noise inside the car and WOT....LOOKOUT! Loud as all hell. I had a O/R H pipe right after I got the SLP setup on and 2 days after install I got a $147 disturbing the peace ticket. I was at SPring Carlisle last weekend and Pypes had a stand with a 94 GT that had they're new "Violater" series mufflers, sounded AMAZING so I bought 2 of them, I think i'm going to have pipe bend and put them on and sell my SLP setup, it's only been on the car for about 1,000 miles. Either the Violaters will go on the Mustang or my V10 F250 superduty

I have MAC equal length headers, stock cats and borla catback. It sounds pretty good, real quiet at idle and cruise. It gets loud at WOT.

I used to have mac O/R H pipe. It was disgustingly loud all the time after i dropped in the new motor. It woke the neighbors up when it first fired in the morning. I put the cats back on to be nice and pass emissions. But now im going to be buying a house with far away from other people I'm going to get O/R x pipe.

How was the spring show? I didn't get to go out to it. I live in carlisle so I normally go to all of the shows.

302fordracer said:
I understand if you don't wanna risk it but alot of people run no cats and it just doesn't make sense for an officer to get under you car and check unless you are being really stupid..

I had a cop pull up to me at a red light, on my way to work, and he asked me what exhaust i had, i told him bbk catted x and flowmaster, he said ok pull over, i need to verify.
Checked my car out for about 30 mins or so. He kept trying to get me to say the cats were gutted, and that it was illegal, etc. I kept telling him it was legal but he wouldnt drop it. The last thing i need is to get pulled over by that douche again with an o/r pipe.

302fordracer said:
doesn't sound like a mustang??? I wouldn't like it...the best part of my exhaust is that it sounds like a mustang...I love how me and my buddies can always tell a stang (5.0, 2v, 4v) just by the exhaust note..no beating the sound of the good ole stang...oh btw just changed my setup yesterday...got a bassani o/r x...I like it wayyyy better than the bbk!!

Hmm, maybe I should rephrase that, compared to your usual h-pipe/flows combo, it sounds different. A lot higher pitched. I dunno how to describe it. I mean, I can tell its a 5.0, but to a non-mustang enthusiest, it sounds more like a 4.6 :shrug: