What Flex fan to buy?

• Sponsors (?)

You want a 17" to get good cooling...

I have a 17" Flex-a-lite flex fan (blue center with polished blades) with the required adapter to get it close enough the the radiator to actually cool and bolts laying around here make me an offer and it's yours if interested, I'll pay shipping. Either PM me or [email protected]

I had put it on mine awhile back while waiting for my electric fan to arrive, a little noisy but did cool well.

Maybe the 17" works as well, but I'm pretty sure mine is 18" which is supposed to be the appication for 5.0 reverse rotation w.p. It definately cools better than the stock clutch/fan setup but it is a lil' noisy if you're still runnin the stock exhaust. That's the only bad thing about it but I've gotten used to it.

85GTKid,

Why do you want a Flex Fan?

The stock setup is far more effective and efficient (and quiet!).

86Five-O: If your Flex fan works better than the stock setup, then there was definitely something wrong with the stock setup. Your fan clutch may have been on the fritz.

Good luck,

I was told they push more air at lower rpms wich is what i need. Right now, when i stop at a light, my car starts to warm up a lil, so i want a fan that will put more air on the new radiator i want to get. Does it no push more air?

If your Flex fan works better than the stock setup, then there was definitely something wrong with the stock setup. Your fan clutch may have been on the fritz.

Yes, my clutch was toast. What happened was I had problems with my temp gauge climbin once and a while, I figured the tstat was stickin, replaced it and then noticed the same problem, which mostly happened when I sat at a light after drivin for a while, then as I sped up the gauge went down. I tested the fan clutch and it spun freely with the warm engine so I dumped it(clutch) for a flex fan, cause it was cheaper than buying a good clutch. I've heard the stock setup cools very well for what it is but I was on a budget. And I believe the flex fan pulls more air mainly from idle-2000 RPM's. Later on down the road however I might go back to the fan/clutch setup. I say if you're on a tight budget, then get the flex fan, if you got money to spend, then go with an electric fan(most likely plan an alt. upgrade) which cools well and cleans up the engine bay, not to mention also free up some HP.

Right now, when i stop at a light, my car starts to warm up a lil, so i want a fan that will put more air on the new radiator i want to get.

If that's the case, like I described on my last post, then most likely your fan clutch is shot. After you drive around and have the car up to temp. SHUT OFF ENGINE and pop the hood and spin the fan by hand, if it spins about a full turn or more, then it's shot. Also if there's black grease around the hub of the fan clutch where it bolts up to the w.p. pulley that means its bad as well. I've seen H.D. clutches sell between $60-$99. I've heard good things about the police clutch from performance parts which goes for $99. It's all up to you dude. Good luck and keep her cool.

Flex fans are cheap, and you get what you pay for. I got a taurus fan from the boneyard for $25. Its in perfect condition. Those cars dont last long. Tons of them in the yard. I am testing the limits of the 2g alt. Its pushing 65 amps at idle with all acc. on. Thats cool, its a 75amp alt. Do not try it without a clamp on ammeter to check actual values upon startup. Proper voltage must be maintained also. I dont tax my system, because I never run it all at once. All I have to do is cut back the blower motor speed when running ac and all is well within a comfortable margin, even with the fan on. I am running low speed only, it is barely enough in the FL heat but 185* is the hottest it gets at idle, ac running. I have a 3-row rad too. I figured this would be temporary, till I killed the alt and got a 3g, but its survived 1 1/2 years or so.

I agree with jerry beach.

If you're on a budget and like to tinker with your car, try installing an electric fan. The fan from a Taurus equipped with the 3.8 V6 is an excellent fan and can be had very cheaply from the salvage yards.

I see Jerry runs his on low speed even though he's in the H-O-T south. I'm in Miami, FL and also run a 3.8 Taurus fan in my car that I bought for $20 at a "U-Pick" salvage place. I've been considering running it on low speed as well because that high speed brings down the temps in a matter of seconds! Seeing as you're in Oregon, 86GT, you will probably be happy with the low speed setup, too, which has the benefit of not sucking down nearly as many amps as the high speed!

That fan flows some serious air! Don't use a cheapo fan controller to power it, though. I use a cheap Hayden unit for control, but wire the main power through a Bosch 75a relay (the most expensive part of my setup at $24).

Here are a couple of places you can look if you're searching for a little project:

http://www.geocities.com/smithmonte/Auto/MarkVIII_Fan.htm
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/8408/MarkVIII.html
http://www.bpg-inc.com/ <<<------ Where to buy Bosch relay

From that, I guess you can see my vote on the flex fan issue.

YMMV,