what gear oil for t5 ?

• Sponsors (?)

maverick0716 said:
You're only supposed to use syncro-mesh with Tremec transmissions.

That's not the first time I've heard it used in a T5...I'm going to look into it myself and might use it in my setup if it looks good. I know it worked much better than ATF in Tremecs (tried both).

Michael Yount said:
The question raised by Perky's comment seems to be synthetic atf's vs. non-synthetics. Ford doesn't specify one or the other - their specs call for mercon atf. The synthetic mercon atfs not meet, but in most cases exceed the specifications called for by Ford for the T-5.

Perky said "most T5 don't liek the syn. atf's.. Not really sure why but they usally destory after using it.. " Sure would like to hear more about this statement. How is "most" defined? Under what conditions were the tranny's being used? Etc.....
me too, i wanna know. Perky, fill us in.

MadMatt5oh said:
Newb here, I find it amazing that a manual would actually use atf fluid. Amazing! My last daily driver - a Beretta gt 5 speed - used 5w30 in the manual trans! What gives?

Something else alot of ppl. don't know the power steering fluid in a mustang is also type F auto tranny fluid :nice:.