What Happened?!?!?!

JonnyBlazeGT

Jun 21, 2015
Well, I need some input. Today, I did my first burn out in my car. Stopped on a back road, brought rpms up to 3k, dumped the clutch, tires started squealing, broke free, then all of a sudden, my car started shaking so hard and violently that I thought it was going to disintegrate into a million pieces!! I mean it was so bad that I will never do it again until I know what is wrong with it and its fixed.

Any ideas? My buddy said most likely u joints or rear blown rear shocks. But the shocks are brand new Bilstein HD's.

• Sponsors (?)

How long did it take for the shaking to stop?

Reminds of the time I put the rear of my car on Stiff Knees in the air. And accelerated; the whole car started to shake violently. My guess is the rear pinion angle changed ever so slightly. Enough to have start skipping gear teeth.

Unless the car starts to replicate the action, maybe really hard to diagnose.

How long did it take for the shaking to stop?

Reminds of the time I put the rear of my car on Stiff Knees in the air. And accelerated; the whole car started to shake violently. My guess is the rear pinion angle changed ever so slightly. Enough to have start skipping gear teeth.

Unless the car starts to replicate the action, maybe really hard to diagnose.
Until I put the clutch in. My pinion angle could be off due to be lowered ,no?

Sounds like axle tramp (aka "wheel hop.")

Can be exacerbated by the overly squishy OE LCA front bushings. "Quad shocks" are meant to dampen some of the fore/aft movement here; if they're gone you can get a bunch of undamped, essentially uncontrolled axle movement.

Axle tramp can indeed break stuff including pulling the upper mounts away from the frame and it can lead to broken U-joints etc.

Quad-Shock-99-04.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Quad shocks do help a lot but aftermarket lower control arms help a lot too. The quad shocks can get in the way of wider wheel and tire combos. Sometimes installing them with the rod facing towards the body and the bigger part connected to the rear housing gives more clearance.

I just ordered new Bilstein quad shocks from Summitt. Does anyone know what size the bolts and nuts are that hold the shocks to the mounts? I have the mounts on there just not the stuff to bolt the shocks on.