What I Have Learned About Welding

Discussion in 'Classic Mustang Specific Tech' started by candphall, Mar 16, 2014.

1. candphall

Expand Collapse

Jun 8, 2009
    Orlando Florida
    I have taught myself to weld after some encouragement from some well established forum members. This being said I thought I would pass along some of the things that I learned.

By a quality welder, perhaps slightly more than you need, in preparation for future projects.
    By a good helmet and gloves
    Search MIG welding on YouTube, they have dozens of helpful videos
    Go to a local fabricator and buy some practice scrap metal in various thicknesses they sell it by the pound.
    Practice practice practice. I went through eight pounds of wire before I put the gun to the car.
    Make sure that all parts to be welded are clean as possible. Even new parts need to be cleaned, I use lacquer thinner.
    If you are grinding paint off an edge to be welded try not to grind it to a knife edge it will burn back easier.
    A good weld does not have to look good. As a matter of fact when welding new sheet metal to old original I found it quite common to get a lot of spitting and sputtering.
    Buy a grinder and a big hammer and don't be afraid to use either.
    horse sence and robert912005 like this.
  2. horse sence

horse sence
    Expand Collapse
    Please don't call me Mom
    SN Certified Technician

Nov 29, 1999
    Wile Coyote's stunt double
    You forgot .when that hot spatter burns through your sock,doing a rain dance will not make it quit burning your foot ,Touching a fresh weld is not a good idea, and wear a long sleeve shirt or you will get one heck of a sun burn:rlaugh:
    robert912005 likes this.