What I Have Learned About Welding

Discussion in 'Classic Mustang Specific Tech' started by candphall, Mar 16, 2014.

1. candphall

candphall Member

I have taught myself to weld after some encouragement from some well established forum members. This being said I thought I would pass along some of the things that I learned.

By a quality welder, perhaps slightly more than you need, in preparation for future projects.
    By a good helmet and gloves
    Search MIG welding on YouTube, they have dozens of helpful videos
    Go to a local fabricator and buy some practice scrap metal in various thicknesses they sell it by the pound.
    Practice practice practice. I went through eight pounds of wire before I put the gun to the car.
    Make sure that all parts to be welded are clean as possible. Even new parts need to be cleaned, I use lacquer thinner.
    If you are grinding paint off an edge to be welded try not to grind it to a knife edge it will burn back easier.
    A good weld does not have to look good. As a matter of fact when welding new sheet metal to old original I found it quite common to get a lot of spitting and sputtering.
    Buy a grinder and a big hammer and don't be afraid to use either.

horse sence and robert912005 like this.
  2. horse sence

horse sence Please don't call me Mom
    SN Certified Technician

Showcase:
    Albums:
    You forgot .when that hot spatter burns through your sock,doing a rain dance will not make it quit burning your foot ,Touching a fresh weld is not a good idea, and wear a long sleeve shirt or you will get one heck of a sun burn:rlaugh:

robert912005 likes this.