What imbalance is the cobra harmonic balancer?

• Sponsors (?)

50 oz for the late model 302's, which as stated is the same for the Gt, and fox Gt/Lx models.

Unless you are looking for a lighter and/or better balanced one, an OEM one will work on all the late model 5.0's if I recall.

I'm on the third oem style balancer, they dont like to spin to 6500 rpm's. I'm torn between the romac, fluidamper, and TCI rattler. I think i'm going with the fluidamper, I like the fact there is really nothing to fail on them. Also anyone else have any problems with AFR's rocker studs? I have had two break on me now. I ordered ARP studs, and i'm thinking about going shaft mounted rockers, and getting rid of the pro mags.
Ohh and engine is a 306.

WC, really check into the fluid style damper. A lot of crank manufacturers will not warranty anything run with one - that's always put up a flag with me.

A decent SFI (elastomeric) balancer should hold up decently for ya regardless.

Good luck.

Tony ... my friend ... S T O P NOW :)

Don't buy another OEM hb :nono:

I'll go to my grave saying it is rpm that kills them :Word:

Now about that Fluidamper

Red Flags are flying high and a plenty :rlaugh:

I have seen a good bit of bad stuff said about them over the years
so
I'm a throwin in with JT here about the concerns :D

I don't have any links :(
but
I'm just letting you know to search it out real good ;)

I've had my SFI Pioneer hb since early 2003

I go up to the 6200-6300 range with no probs :shrug:
and
I had none of the install hassles like with Romac :Word:

Good Luck with which ever way you go :nice:

Grady

Ok good stuff, so looks like my choices have been tweaked a good bit... So romac is a bit of a hassle, i'll look into the pioneer piece. Any bad news on the ford racing SFI balancer? I get a 30% discount right now on the ford racing one.

Again thanks for the feedback guy's.

The pioneer piece is MUCH cheaper than the fluidamper, Thats always a plus.
Also before I forget the 94 is going to bed from now on, I'm buying a 04 cobra on saturday, and i'm going to be daily driving that instead of the 98. I gave my brother the 98 cobra, ohhh how he loves that car..... I'll take pics when I pick it up.

Ok good stuff, so looks like my choices have been tweaked a good bit... So romac is a bit of a hassle, i'll look into the pioneer piece. Any bad news on the ford racing SFI balancer? I get a 30% discount right now on the ford racing one.

Again thanks for the feedback guy's.

The pioneer piece is MUCH cheaper than the fluidamper, Thats always a plus.
Also before I forget the 94 is going to bed from now on, I'm buying a 04 cobra on saturday, and i'm going to be daily driving that instead of the 98. I gave my brother the 98 cobra, ohhh how he loves that car..... I'll take pics when I pick it up.

I myself have heard nothing about the Ford hb :)

Since you spin it above 6K ...
I'd tell you to focus on one with the SFI specs :nice:

I'd kinda think as long as that Ford unit is SFI approved ......
Well ... You'd think the quality would be high :shrug:

The Romac hb's are known for fitting V E R Y tight on the crank snout :Word:

I forget who it was :scratch:
but recently
He made a thread complaining about not being able to install it :(

He finally took it to a machine shop to have it honed out a bit

Grady

Mr Grady has the good memory. :banana: It was Go-stang5.0 whom had the ID of the Romac honed.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=723282&highlight=Romac

FWIW, like Grady, I also don't know much about the Ford SFI unit.

One word to the inexperienced or unknowing (that was for you Mr Grady. :nice: ) - do use a quality brand when lookin at SFI's. There are some dog crap SFI units (overseas stuff) out there.

One more thing - if you do happen to check out the Pioneers, as I recall Powerbond is the same part and the PB's are often cheaper.

Good luck.

BTW, is there any chance we could be related? You can give me a Cobra too. :D
And congrats on getting the T-machine - I know you were kicking that one around awhile back. :nice:

I'm going with the pioneer unit, so thanks grady and hissman.
I gave my bro the 98 because he has never had enough money to buy a nice car, he is very simple, he drove it a few times and loved it, and took impecable care of it, so for his early b-day present i'm just giving it to him, he offered to buy it, but it's one of those things that i'll never see.

I have been kicking around the T idea forever, but since i'm giving away a car, so I gave myself a reason to purchase one... lol. See there is a method to my madness...

Mr Grady has the good memory. :banana: It was Go-stang5.0 whom had the ID of the Romac honed.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=723282&highlight=Romac

FWIW, like Grady, I also don't know much about the Ford SFI unit.

One word to the inexperienced or unknowing (that was for you Mr Grady. :nice: ) - do use a quality brand when lookin at SFI's. There are some dog crap SFI units (overseas stuff) out there.

One more thing - if you do happen to check out the Pioneers, as I recall Powerbond is the same part and the PB's are often cheaper.

Good luck.

BTW, is there any chance we could be related? You can give me a Cobra too. :D
And congrats on getting the T-machine - I know you were kicking that one around awhile back. :nice:

Yep it cost me $25 bux to get it honed...and after about 1/2 hr in boiling water (prolly a bit excessive) it slid on pretty easy. It seems that the interferance fit is better or worse depending on your crank mfg. When things are as tight as a romac a few thousands at the crank makes a big difference. I believe it was RIO5.0 that heated his up and it slid right on the first time. Mine took honing and heating. I wonder how my mechanic got it on the first time around. I also broke broke multiple hb puller bolts removing it. With that said, my steel/aluminum romac is noticably lighter than most other balancers (by several pounds) and I still like it and would buy it again.