what is biggest check you ever wrote?

• Sponsors (?)

BlackVert said:
it is this house:

http://www.wfpsir.com

go to listings and put in this address

4916 BRANDYWINE ST NW
WASHINGTON, DC 20016

Damn dude, housing in DC is insane. I live in Loudoun, and it's crazy here also. My 4,500sq house cost 650k :notnice: but after 2 years, it's now worth 1 million :nice: .

Not trying to steer you away from that house, it's nice and all but for 875k, you can buy a BIG ASS house with a lot of land in Western Loudoun.

What I don't understand is how some people get all excited their house has gone up xx% in value. Thats all fine and dandy if you never move, but if you do chances are it wasn't just the value of your house that was going up in that area.

BlackVert said:
the house we live in was passed from my wife's grandparents to her mother and now 2/3 of it is ours. the profit is almost 100%, except for 100K we put into it for an addition about 10 years ago. luckily, our 2/3 is less than 500K so our capital gains is 0, but my in-laws are looking at about 200K of capital gains. plus, there is no exclusion if it is not your primary residence.

my in-law's house bought their house for 20K a long time ago, so they are looking at about 200K in taxable gains there too.

the more the in-laws end up paying for capital gains, the higher my new mortgage is to cover the difference.
Dang...

Not to hijack your thread, but you say you're a software developer, I need a program to send info from a web page to a fax but it has to stay in the web page format. Some of the programs I've seen just allows you to input the info but wont keep the format.

You know of anything like that or can you make something like that?

davins130 said:
damn man you must have built up some serious debt if you make that much money and can barely pay month to month expenses, And live in a half mil. dollar house
i have 2 kids in private school, my daughter is getting braces put in, a $2900 mortgage, both kids have weekly music lessons, and the wife does not work.

our credit card bill is often $3000 for one month. $7500 per month doesn't last very long with all that going on.

not much left over for the stang.

the real estate lady said my house would probably sell for 825K. and it is not a very nice house. :shrug:

Im 16 so i never wrote one yet haha. Wow i wish i could buy a million doller house wen i get older damn, i just asked my mom and she bought our average middle class house in pa for 80,000 put 35 into it in 1970's.Damn i feel poor. haha

HoofnIt said:
That looks like a very nice home. I hope everything works out for you. With all of the home prices going up and up, I'm wondering how people who are just getting started are ever going to afford one?

seriously... i've still got 2 years of college left and i'm wondering about that myself

nice house, seems like a good area

and they talk about it on NCIS all the time... Bethesda

My biggest check was for a car (embarrased to say how much).

BTW, I don't consider a check for housing to be a big deal (downpayment, mortgage payoff, etc.). That's an investment. That's like saying when you move investments from one broker to another you wrote a big check.

But on that note, BlackVert - what do you guys pay in property tax annually? (You should negotiate HARD with your RE broker. FOrget paying 7%. More like 2%. Or better yet set a capped fee. They do NOTHING and collect a check. Or self list, with houses going so fast, what do you need a broker for???)

GRGT1994 said:
My biggest check was for a car (embarrased to say how much).

BTW, I don't consider a check for housing to be a big deal (downpayment, mortgage payoff, etc.). That's an investment. That's like saying when you move investments from one broker to another you wrote a big check.

But on that note, BlackVert - what do you guys pay in property tax annually? (You should negotiate HARD with your RE broker. FOrget paying 7%. More like 2%. Or better yet set a capped fee. They do NOTHING and collect a check. Or self list, with houses going so fast, what do you need a broker for???)
Property tax runs about $6,000 annually.

I am thinking about selling it myself. You are right, the realtors' fees are outrageous! Even at 5%, if our house sells for $800,000, that is $40,000 for them for doing very little. Good work if you can get it ...