What is fast?

COramprat

...I can take it. I think.
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Mar 2, 2003
Sea of Tranquility
We (meaning the guys on our local board) have gotten into numerous, friendly arguements on what is considered a fast street car. Most of us here have seen stock Stangs in the high 13's and a bolt-on PI Stangs may see high 12's with practice. Most of the guys in our club are GM drivers although most of them started in trucks. They swapped 6.0's into regular cabs, dropped in big bumpsticks and with 100-125 shots have them in low 12's. Even the x-tra cabs were pushing high to mid 13's.

Some have now moved onto Z28's, SS's and WS6's. With a few bolts-ons those cars are easily in the low 12's but they claim that is not a "fast" car. They spray them to mid 11's and complain that it isn't fast enough...or not what they expected.

My question is at what point do you get so enamered over going fast that you lose sight of what a "street car" really is? To me a full interior, all bells and whistles car that does mid to low 13's is a fast street car. They claim that 11's is the beginings of fast. To me that is the mid point of dangerous. Most tracks require roll cages at 12.0 and under for a reason. What do you think?

• Sponsors (?)

blackink00 said:
anything in the 12s with full interior and all the creature comforts is fast to me
I agree. A 12.0 car with all the comforts is fast to me. 11.0 is fast as is 10.0 and better. People start modding their cars and it's a never ending story, me included, but its fun. I would love to have a 10.0 street car for a DD, but dont really have a use for it, but to show off.

big T said:
I agree. A 12.0 car with all the comforts is fast to me. 11.0 is fast as is 10.0 and better. People start modding their cars and it's a never ending story, me included, but its fun. I would love to have a 10.0 street car for a DD, but dont really have a use for it, but to show off.

It's actually surpsing how many of the 10 second street cars I know are actually not flashy, loud, or otherwise show-offy at all. Thems fast though ;)

If anybody wants a 12 second full interior street car you know where to look...lol

not sure where you draw the line. if a car is running in the 11's and 10's it is doing so with the use of slicks. the fastest production cars HARDLY run those times. if you are running slicks to get those times, it will never run close to that on the street and if its using the slickes on the street, it is not a street car. on the street it is more of a hp game from a (i hate to say it ) roll. because any high hp car on the street is not going to hook up.

2006 BMW m3 = 12.5

2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 3.6 11.70 (this is practally a supercar)

2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10 3.9 11.77

2005 Ford GT 3.3 11.60

2004 Lamborghini Gallardo 4.1 12.40

2003 Lamborghini Murcielago 3.8 12.60

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS55 AMG 4.2 12.50
2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS55 AMG 4.2 12.60

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG 3.8 11.90

2004 Porsche 911 GT3 4.0 12.30

if you can run the times these cars are running you are fast as hell! who is anyone trying to kid. these guys are doing it on street tires.

I driven and drove in some extremely fast vehicles in my life
and I will say anything running 12's or lower in the 1/4 mile
is pretty darn fast.Quite a few customers at the Subaru shop
I work for have took me for test rides in there cars and they
are scary fast!! :nice:

Fast street cars....hmmm....I figure if it can do on the street what it does on the strip, then that's about as fast as you can get for a street car. But I do agree, it doesn't have to be all about fast from a stop....if your car gets traction from a roll and is quick as ****....then that's awesome for the street too since we're not always drag racing from one stop light to another.

So...how bout these...

http://www.hotrod.com/tv/113_hd04_06/

This looks pretty darn fast.... http://www.hotrod.com/projectbuild/hdrp_0607_ls7_pontiac_solstice_road_test/
hrdp_0607_01_z+v8_pontiac_solstice_road_test+big_burnout.jpg

fast is like beauty everyone has a different view on what it is, but there are some that everyone agrees on. To someone with a honda or something a mid 13 car might be a fast car in there books. To a npi bolt on guy a low 13 might be a fast car in there books. To a power adder gt a high 10 might be a fast car. To an 03 owner a low 10 might be a fast car. Speed is in the eye of the beholder...unless your running in the 9's then we all say you are fast

i think 12s are fast 11s are the really the fastest i would want for my street car because i like not emptying my pockets on gas just to drive around the corner. Anything faster than that and it really seems to be almost a track car because it would be hard to go on cruises and things like that. Thats just me

Superhereaux said:
to me a fast street car is any car that is driven to the track, runs consistent 12's without slicks and a full interior, drives home and can be driven to work on monday. all on pump gas
I agree...

So to narrow it just a bit. Pump gas and no slicks. You can assume that a car running 11's on the gas will be 12's N/A. Spraying on the street serves no purpose other than getting into trouble so let's just stick with N/A or turbo/blower cars since that is factory on alot of cars.

I guess I'm still in the old school frame of mind. When I was in my teens and early 20's, a low 14 was fast. If you were in the 13's you were strictly a track car. Now cars come from the factory running 13's. I think low 13's high 12's is the limit for a safe, drivable street car. Supercars notwithstanding there are not too many factory cars that drive off the floor running 12's.