What is needed to cam the gt? Cammed Stangs Come In!!

If my mind doesnt get changed, i may be ordering the VT stage 1's in the next couple weeks and carry out my original plan of keepin the car N/A. Been going through withdrawls from not being able to mod my car due to lack of funds :(

Finally i have a decent payin job. Got 3.73's sitting here in my room and i plan on ordering the cams and gettin a tune before summer.

Originally, I was planning on having someone walk me through the install as i stood by to help out, but i'm a little worried about screwin something up. I'd feel better just paying someone to do it. What is needed in the install. Someone said i should purchase new valve cover gaskets.... will i need to purchase anything else?

What problems may the car encounter? and lastly, Anyone have any suggestions or helpful tips?? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Cams are around 700, springs are around 300, and then you can either tackle the project yourself, or ive HEARD that the average labor fee is around 600 bucks (for the Lightning). Same basic idea as your 4.6L. WHile the exhaust idle will be improved, you are looking at 1500 bucks for 30hp give or take. As mentioned before... better off with an s/c if you want power. Just my opinion on it

i already have his walktrhough saved on my comp :nice: but i dont have the tools or the necessary location to do it as a college student.

AND a blower is not a feasable solution because of the immediate purchase price... if i had that much money, i'd swap in a 4valve or sell my car and buy a 99 or 00 cobra.

See, ive built numerous 302's and cams are under 200 duckets for any pushrod engine. So when i think of 1000 bucks just for parts, it doesnt equate out in my head. :) Call Visa and have them set you up on a monthly payment play for a supercharger :)

can you post a link to the walk through, I'm installing cams in the next two weeks with my buddy who is a mechanic and it would be nice to read over an explanation first. I've done a search and haven't been able to find it. Thanks

can you post a link to the walk through, I'm installing cams in the next two weeks with my buddy who is a mechanic and it would be nice to read over an explanation first. I've done a search and haven't been able to find it. Thanks

This one isnt hotmustangs, but its another useful link. check it out:
http://www.************.com/?show=articlesdet&aid=39

replace the ***'s with
m o d u l a r d e p o t

I have hotmustang's saved as a word document. i'll PM it to you.

Supercharger shmoopercharger, all I have to say is tick tock. I know a good tune and keeping the rpm's down are the key, but the possibility of the engine getting ventilated would be in the back of my mind having crappy powder rods.
Anyway, see sig for another cam choice.
p.s. they don't require upgraded springs.

Supercharger shmoopercharger, all I have to say is tick tock. I know a good tune and keeping the rpm's down are the key, but the possibility of the engine getting ventilated would be in the back of my mind having crappy powder rods.
Anyway, see sig for another cam choice.
p.s. they don't require upgraded springs.

making serious power and being afraid to blow the motor are just not compatible.

yeah alot of guys have cars making great numbers for a long time, but it isnt feasable to think you can do it and be perfectly safe. always prepare for the worst.
I have actually started to like my builds more than the actual car..(geuss in my shape thats a good thing :rlaugh: ) I like it because I am always reachign for new goals, and hitting them.

with me it isnt always the finish product, but the fun in getting there.

look out 800rwhp :nice:

making serious power and being afraid to blow the motor are just not compatible.

yeah alot of guys have cars making great numbers for a long time, but it isnt feasable to think you can do it and be perfectly safe. always prepare for the worst.
I have actually started to like my builds more than the actual car..(geuss in my shape thats a good thing :rlaugh: ) I like it because I am always reachign for new goals, and hitting them.

with me it isnt always the finish product, but the fun in getting there.

look out 800rwhp :nice:

Yeah I'm just saying I'd be building a block up to compliment the blower if I was in the market. I just don't think a stock gt engine is a good idea to be using FI.

If you're saving up to do Cams, Headers, and whatever else...you'd be spending close to the same price a blower would cost after you add up labor + parts for the cams. If you're still set on cams though it isn't too bad, I have a writeup in my sig as well for PI cams which shouldn't be TOO different from Stage 1's.

If you get cams I'd understand about being afraid about doing the install but if your doing LT's just do that yourself. It's a Pain in the ass but if you drop engine a hair it's not too bad. Honestly paying to have LT's installed might cost you more than the cams and install for them if you go to the wrong place. I've heard horror stories of 1500+ long tube install bills.

Cams are around 700, springs are around 300, and then you can either tackle the project yourself, or ive HEARD that the average labor fee is around 600 bucks (for the Lightning). Same basic idea as your 4.6L. WHile the exhaust idle will be improved, you are looking at 1500 bucks for 30hp give or take. As mentioned before... better off with an s/c if you want power. Just my opinion on it

Good lord your numbers are high! Stage 1 cams can be had for $550, and with those new springs are not required, only for stage 2's and up. Also, got several quotes in my area for Stage 1's on my car and the labor was 350-375. So 550+350= 900 for cams.

Good lord your numbers are high! Stage 1 cams can be had for $550, and with those new springs are not required, only for stage 2's and up. Also, got several quotes in my area for Stage 1's on my car and the labor was 350-375. So 550+350= 900 for cams.

Here's what I have in my cams.

625.00 hp s 292 cams
_34.00 Afm Cam retentention tool
_18.00 oil and filter
000.00 4-5hours of my labor
150.00 tuning
------------------------------------------

That seems EXTREMELY cheap. damn how cheap is labor out there in texas :scratch:

labor is basically 100 per hour at most shops here in san jose...and the job doesnt seem to be a 3 - 3.5 hour job..... usually its between 5 - 8 hours is what most shops estimate....

AND to everyone's suggestions regarding gettin blown... I really don't want a blower at this point.... i'll probably end up gettin rid of the car a little while after the cams, shorties and gears. I havent been too impressed with the times and HP numbers on blown 2valves (without new internals and rear end and all the other beefing up)...... if im going to be forkin up that much dinero, i mind as well spend it on something thats faster to begin with.