what is needed with 4.10's?

• Sponsors (?)

Traction? :D

You might want to get a little install kit with a crush sleeve and other stuff, I got a complete one with seals, bearings.....the whole shebang.

Depends on where you get 'em installed. I just brought my gears in, and the shop supplied everything else in the install price except for the Track-Lok rebuild kit (another $75 w/extra clutches) and Amsoil synthetic fluid for another $18.

T-lock rebuild wouldnt be a bad idea. Ide do it to mine whenever swapping the gears. However, I have a 31 spline differential laying on my floor. It will be going in whenever I swap gears. :D

A basic install kit with some basic seals and bearings wouldnt be a bad idea either. Along with that 2 qts of rear differential fluid.

BTW, I just bought some Amsoil 75w-90 synthetic rear differential fluid. Is it ok if I use this when I swap out the gears ? Im thinking it would be.

Dark Knight GT said:
T-lock rebuild wouldnt be a bad idea. Ide do it to mine whenever swapping the gears. However, I have a 31 spline differential laying on my floor. It will be going in whenever I swap gears. :D

A basic install kit with some basic seals and bearings wouldnt be a bad idea either. Along with that 2 qts of rear differential fluid.

BTW, I just bought some Amsoil 75w-90 synthetic rear differential fluid. Is it ok if I use this when I swap out the gears ? Im thinking it would be.

That's what they used in mine, and the guy who did it just works mainly on Mustangs. The shop is called All Ford Performance. And this was the second set of gears he installed for me. So yes, I'd say that will work.

GotMustangs said:
That's what they used in mine, and the guy who did it just works mainly on Mustangs. The shop is called All Ford Performance. And this was the second set of gears he installed for me. So yes, I'd say that will work.

Ok, thanks. I was just making sure I had the kind that would work. I know the local shop where I purchased it also carries 75w-140 in Amsoil but I bought the 75w-90 since it was a few dollars cheaper.

menasci said:
Guess I'll do the 4.10's.
My GT has 19k miles.
I already have a hypertech programmer for the speedo calibration.
What else is needed?

One main thing is needed besides all the other stuff, get an FRPP alum driveshaft... Much lighter than stock and it's balanced.

Driveshaft is not NEEDED but is definately a :nice: :nice: :nice: Even with the higher revs, my car drives significantly smoother on the highway.

Don't forget to change the rear end fluid at 1000 miles. I just changed mine, and it looked pretty nasty. Plus the fill plug had a small pile of metal shavings on it. Actually, it looked like a paste it was so fine. (The fill plug is magnetic)

There was also a metal tag on one of the differential cover bolts saying to only use 75W-140 synthetic fluid, but I've heard of people using other than that.

Also, does anyone know what that little wheel turning trick is to check if the T-Lock is worn out? Something like hold one wheel still and see if the other turns.......:shrug:

CottonBurnerz said:
Do driveshafts really adds hp? I like the idea of it's being lightweight and stronger. Could anyone confirm the hp claims?

Also, are you require to remove any exhaust pipes at all when doing the install? How much would it cost to have a shop do it?

Technically, installing a light shaft does not add hp. However it does lighten the rotating mass. It will take less power to turn the lighter shaft, so the extra power will get to the wheels.

It's very easy to install and you shouldn't have to pull any pipes off. If you have a jack and some stands you can easily do it in your driveway.