What is the best way to launch an Auto Trans

• Sponsors (?)

RICKS said:
After each run, when you get back into the staging lanes, towel-off all the crap and pebbles and grit/dirt off your tires. The return trip from the timing house to the staging lanes, you pick up all kinds of crap in your warm tires. It really makes a difference to get that wiped down, prior to going into stage. Hope I didn't bore you with a bunch of crap you didn't already know!! ;)

And if you have the stock P-Zero Nero's, they really do pick up and hold a lot of pebbles in the tread. More so than a more blocky tread.

I've had autos on a 69 Cougar Eliminator and a 90 Mustang GT. Loved both cars to death. I always launched them by braking, reving, and stomping. Nothing wrong with that. But I'll tell you this, I'll never, ever buy another auto. It's way too much fun deciding for yourself when it's time to change gears...

willy_sc5.0 said:
Ok . . . I misunderstood you. :nice:

.500's excellent
.600-.700's good/decent
.800-900's bad
1.0 + terrible

Do not go by these guidelines for rating reaction times, It could cause your head to get bigger :D Your skill level could vary but in general...

.500 perfect, but don’t shoot for it you will red-light often
.500 - .525 excellent
.526 - .535 v-good
.536 - .565 good
.566 - .580 fair
.581 or higher bad

.100's happen but usually when there is a distraction or you are on the early stage of learning.

I shoot for .530's, this give me cushion if I'm early.

Other tips:
- Stage in exactly the same spot every time
- Launch at the same rpm each time
- Stage shallow and start early
- Drive around the water trap if you can.
- Stage in-line with where the good rubber is, make sure you are straight
- Find your best tire pressures and keep them consistant, look at your black marks to determine if more or less is needed in the drive tires.
- Keep your fuel level ~consistant, 1/4 to 1/2 tank is good.
- Maintain consistant overall weight in car. Remove all items you dont' need for quickest times.
- For 60' times find the rate of throttle application needed (in combination with clutch action). Practice can make a difference.

I get 60' times in the 1.81 range with my stock suspensioned, TA radial old musclecar. And I drive through the water trap...at least with one tire (no choice :rolleyes: ). Automatics will give the skilled driver better reaction times and 60' times. I prefer manuals; they are more fun, use less HP and break easier.

RaiderSilverGT said:
But I'll tell you this, I'll never, ever buy another auto. It's way too much fun deciding for yourself when it's time to change gears...

Yep, I still have a car that I can row. I tried to convince my wife that she could learn to drive and love a manual but no go. I do have to admit that having one of each type auto and manual it is a nice break not having to shift all the time. - I think that also depends on the population where you live

damien2003gt said:
Really? What in Gods name was your 60 ft time? 1.5?

It would have to be in an auto trapping at 99. I call B.S on this post.
I'd raise the flage if I wasn't too lazy to find it.

Really? It's very consistent with what Motor Trend ran with an auto GT. How do you explain that? BS as well?

cray1801 said:
Do not go by these guidelines for rating reaction times, It could cause your head to get bigger :D

.500 perfect, but don’t shoot for it you will red-light often
.500 - .525 excellent
.526 - .535 v-good
.536 - .565 good
.566 - .580 fair
.581 or higher bad

Unless you are John Force/drag racing is your dayjob or braket race evey week, those #'s are too much to ask.

Come on 0.565 fair :nonono:

willy_sc5.0 said:
Unless you are John Force/drag racing is your dayjob or braket race evey week, those #'s are too much to ask.

Come on 0.565 fair :nonono:

Have you ever got a red light?

A good technique is to stage as shallow as possible and get a rolling start. By doing this you can go as the last amber comes on ... and still not red light. You have to time it to match how quickly your car reacts, if it reacts more quickly you have to go after the last amber comes on, this makes it much harder. In this case you should make minor suspension adjustments to slow the reaction of the car.