What is the difference between the Vortech Strim and SQ?

• Sponsors (?)

DC-GT said:
I have been told about the SQ being quieter and "maybe" providing a tiny bit more hp. So what is the difference between them?

Bo
According to the Vortech site:

S-trim:
Straight cut spur gear
Fits engines up to 680 horsepower
Maximum airflow: 1,000 CFM *
Maximum boost pressure: 20 PSI *
Maximum impeller speed: 50,000 RPM
Adiabatic efficiency: 72% **
Available with straight or curved discharge and clockwise or counterclockwise rotation

SQ-Trim:
Helical cut gear profile with SQ technology
Near silent operation
Fits engines up to 680 horsepower
Maximum airflow: 1,000 CFM *
Maximum boost pressure: 20 PSI *
Maximum impeller speed: 50,000 RPM
Adiabatic efficiency: 72% **
Available with straight or curved discharge and clockwise or counterclockwise rotation

Looks to me like they are basically the same.

Loud?

DBMSTNG said:
the only significant difference between the two is that the S (V1) is loud and the SQ (V2) is somewhat quiet.

How loud is the S trim? Unbareable? I would want some whine, unless I was building a sleeper. I have read on here, some people who get the SQ, are disapointed it isn't a bit louder. Is there a happy medium?

I really like the SQ...

it's just loud enough to hear at idle and at slow speeds but on the highway they wont' hear the whine as you go into boost.
devil-smiley-019.gif

I have an S Trim and you can constantly here it. It is the greatest sound you can give your car.. You'll have people asking you what is wrong with your car.. My buddy has the SQ and you can hear it but it isn't as distinct.. It all depends on what you want a sleeper--- or for the next to you to turn at the light :D.. Good luck

Ant

To be honest, I'm not sure what I have. I thought it was an SQ, but its so loud I can't imagine this one being the "super quiet" version. Anyway, it sounds broken at idle, but off idle it quiets down quite a bit and is just a nice quiet whooshing sound.

Is there any way to tell S vs. SQ when its installed on the car?

My experience is similar to DeadLurkers. At low (neighborhood, parking lot) speeds and when accelerating slowly up to aroung 45 mph, you and people within 25 meters or so of your vehicle can hear it. Once at highway speeds (60-75 mph) normal engine rmps, exhaust and stereo take over. In my opinion 'SQ' doesn't mean quiet, but then again I have no experience with the S-Trim, non-SQ model either. Regards,

I think that the SQ is perfect. You can hear it from outside the car, but it is not obvious what it is. Here is an example:

I have a friend that also has a Bullitt. For the longest time the two of us matched each other mod for mod. Then he got laid off and had to stop. When I purchased and installed the blower I didn't tell him. That weekend we went to a car meet and were talking with some guys about exhausts. I told my friend that my car has started to sound strange and would he listen to it. He came over and I fired it up. He stood there for about a minute and then said "It sounds like a supercharger :shrug: " I grinned and popped the hood. He didn't believe it until he had lifted the hood and seen it. Then he just closed it, said "F*** YOU!" and walked off :D

So if you know what you are listening for, you can tell. Otherwise it just sounds like something is wrong. It is noticeable though. My mother-in-law is always telling me that my car sounds "broke".

If you pull up to me at a light though, you probably can't hear it over your own engine enough to know.

5111 said:
I think that the SQ is perfect. You can hear it from outside the car, but it is not obvious what it is. Here is an example:

I have a friend that also has a Bullitt. For the longest time the two of us matched each other mod for mod. Then he got laid off and had to stop. When I purchased and installed the blower I didn't tell him. That weekend we went to a car meet and were talking with some guys about exhausts. I told my friend that my car has started to sound strange and would he listen to it. He came over and I fired it up. He stood there for about a minute and then said "It sounds like a supercharger :shrug: " I grinned and popped the hood. He didn't believe it until he had lifted the hood and seen it. Then he just closed it, said "F*** YOU!" and walked off :D

So if you know what you are listening for, you can tell. Otherwise it just sounds like something is wrong. It is noticeable though. My mother-in-law is always telling me that my car sounds "broke".

If you pull up to me at a light though, you probably can't hear it over your own engine enough to know.

I think the SQ is perfect also! :nice:

5111 said:
I have a friend that also has a Bullitt ....When I purchased and installed the blower I didn't tell him.

Some friend you are :p . At least you spared him the indignity of finding out the hard way.

5111 said:
..I think that the SQ is perfect. You can hear it from outside the car, but it is not obvious what it is..

Exactly. The S-Trims are loud though, even from a distance.... good if you like drawing a lot of attention.

2002BLKGT said:
How loud is the S trim? Unbareable? I would want some whine, unless I was building a sleeper. I have read on here, some people who get the SQ, are disapointed it isn't a bit louder. Is there a happy medium?

i've had both of them, i traded my V1(loud) for a V2(quiet). if you are building a sleeper, go with the V2 SQ trim. with the V1, people can hear you a mile away, literally. i could hear my car whistle at idle from a good 200+ feet away. i'm gonna guesstimate the V1 is about 5 times louder than the V2.

DBMSTNG said:
i've had both of them, i traded my V1(loud) for a V2(quiet). if you are building a sleeper, go with the V2 SQ trim. with the V1, people can hear you a mile away, literally. i could hear my car whistle at idle from a good 200+ feet away. i'm gonna guesstimate the V1 is about 5 times louder than the V2.

To me the S was VERY loud...actually annoying loud. That's why I went with the SQ trim. I heard both of them in person before I ordered mine and it was a no brainer for my situation...some people like the loud version....im one of those who likes the sleeper(well sortof) approach.

DBMSTNG said:
I wish my car whistled at idle. :(