What is the fuel capacity of a 90 LX?

• Sponsors (?)

If the engine vacuum sucked up your tank or the baffles broke loose or if you put in an oversized fuel pump or if your fill pipe it too long or if your vent is not working or if you're filling it on a hill, it holds about 12.9 gal. If it's a 'normal' tank, it holds 15.4.

JB66 said:
If the engine vacuum sucked up your tank or the baffles broke loose or if you put in an oversized fuel pump or if your fill pipe it too long or if your vent is not working or if you're filling it on a hill, it holds about 12.9 gal. If it's a 'normal' tank, it holds 15.4.
Huh?

JB66 said:
Not funny, huh?
I just was not sure what you were getting at.

Last time I checked, engine vac is not applied to the tank (the vent goes to the Charcoal cannister and the purge-solenoid vents the excess fumes. But it certainly is not manifold vacuum).

Baffles being broken dont change the tank volume - they are still in there.

Gas stations are on flat ground..........

I guess I was not sure what you meant. :)

Well, it just sounds strange to me that so many people have a fuel tank with the exact same outside dimensions and yet the amount of fuel that fits inside the tank varies so much. Last I remember from my geometry class, the volume of an object can be pretty much determined by its outside measurements. As for my comments...
I've seen a tank collapsed when the vent failed and engine vacuum 'emptied' it (though not on a late model Mustang...
Those baffles won't change the interior volume of the tank, but they can prevent filling up that tall hump on the pass. side where the pump is mounted.
Like wise if the fill pipe is improperly installed, it can limit incoming fuel.
And you're correct, most gas stations aren't on a hill, but then again there's got to be SOME reason for the differences in volume, right?
BTW... I don't park my Mustangs on any sort of uneven ground anymore. Both my 90 and 93 refused to start due to lack of fuel even with over 3 gal. in each tank. Reason... the drivers side was lower than the pass. side. Like a NExTel stocker on a steep banked track, all the fuel ran away from the pump.