What is the plate called between the motor and the trans?

spirockp

5 Year Member
Mar 26, 2004
NJ
I need to reorder that thin plate that mounts between the motor and the trans. I running a 302 block and a C4 Trans. The plate I currently have is a bit warped and needs to be replaced, but I am not sure of it's name to look it up online?

Thanks for the help.

Peter S.

• Sponsors (?)

What you are looking for is called a block plate.

How badly warped is the one you have ? You should be able to take a hammer to it and pound it into shape well enough to get it on the block. The bellhousing will usually crush them into shape against the block as long as they are close.

I need to reorder that thin plate that mounts between the motor and the trans. I running a 302 block and a C4 Trans. The plate I currently have is a bit warped and needs to be replaced, but I am not sure of it's name to look it up online?

Thanks for the help.

Peter S.

It should flatten out once you sandwhich it in between the block and bell housing and tighten the bolts. It's called a block plate and it's what indexes the starter to the flyweel/flexplate.

Bellhousing Separator Plate or Block Plate.

The issue I am having after 4 years and 5200 miles of driving is that the weight just barely scrapes the at the top of it's rotation, between 11:00 and 1:00. Not sure why it changed after so long but it is. The plate really isn't flat at all so I will be buying a new one. Way too much work to remove it again.

Thanks for the info.

:)

I had two mechanics listen to the noise and they both said a cracked flexplate. After inspecting the flexplate it looks fine, however it is not SFI approved. Also I have a stock torque converter so I will be upgrading that as well. (I have been wanted to do that anyway, so now is the time.) I really do not to drop the trans again if I try to fix the block plate and it still hits. There are only about $50 so I will be replacing it. New Block Plate, new TCI SFI approved Flexplate, and a new TCI Saturday Night Torque Converter.

I had two mechanics listen to the noise and they both said a cracked flexplate. After inspecting the flexplate it looks fine, however it is not SFI approved. Also I have a stock torque converter so I will be upgrading that as well. (I have been wanted to do that anyway, so now is the time.) I really do not to drop the trans again if I try to fix the block plate and it still hits. There are only about $50 so I will be replacing it. New Block Plate, new TCI SFI approved Flexplate, and a new TCI Saturday Night Torque Converter.

you wont always see cracks in the flexplate, so a visual inspection is not always accurate. have the plate magnafluxed to be sure.

Also, if you have a manual bellhousing you can bolt that up with the auto flexplate and block plate to check it with no trans in the car. This will save a lot of work when it comes to puting the entire transmission in and finding out the flexplate is bad.

Ok here is my shopping list...

TCI new Flexplate
ATI Block Plate

and only because I have been wanted to upgrade my Torque Converter...
TCI Breakaway 2200 to 2400 Stall

I have spoken to TCI and this converter matches my car. Should be much nicer then the stock converter I currently have.

Peter S.

I know I'm a little late to this thread, but it's also called a starter index plate.

I had to go through this with my car in order to fix the half-assed jury rigging the PO did with it. In my case, he put an 82 302 in it with a 5 speed, but used a 66 bellhousing and a plate for an automatic tranny (missing the inspection plate at the bottom), a flywheel from a 67(I think) and used a big U-bolt to shim the starter I didn't really find all this out until I went to replace the plate with the correct plate for a manual transmission and the job turned into replacing the plate, bellhousing, flywheel and clutch and fork.