what is the proper way to shave drip rails?

• Sponsors (?)

There is no "proper" way to do this, the drip rail "gutter" is the pinchweld that holds the edge of the roof together with the supporting structure. It's not just decoration.

However, If you really have your heart set on doing this, you'll want to do a few inches at a time, leaving most of the rail in place as support. Make sure your weld bead completely attaches all of the layers, or it'll crack, and give you structural problems.

A guy over on Pro-touring.com used a small diameter piece of roundstock that he could bend to match the contour, then he used it to fill the gap.

Look for the $5000 mustang build thread.

He went from this:
408514228_UPdfy-L.jpg

To this. (no rain gutters)
659813517_ZaCeU-L.jpg

Do you want to shave them because you like the look or because they are badly rusted? Unless there are large sections rusted through, smaller holes can be cleaned and filled using a MIG and a piece of flat copper underneath.

Rusty,
As always, showin' the "good stuff" and ALWAYS bringin' your "A" game.:nice: I so wish that I could afford to have you do my 68 Coupe. I'm certainly not implying that your prices are high, but the quality and attention to detail of the work that you show, surely can't be within the budget of mere mortals. Your stuff looks to be some of the best of the best.
Gene