What is the purpose of the bypass hose

• Sponsors (?)

basically your cooling system is just too efficient on cold days. probably one thing that is happening is that your oil is also not getting up to operating temp either and that can be hard on a motor. you may need to get an electric fan controller/programmer so that you can set the turn-on AND turn-off temps seperately. have the fan come on at 200 degrees and then turn off again at 180-185 degrees.

consider using a different weight oil as well. if you're using a heavier weight oil now switch to a lighter weight and vice-versa and see if that has any effect the overall temps.

The true purpose of the bypass hose is to blow out while your mom's driving your car flat out because she's late for work, and to cost you a new engine because all the steam makes her scared to stop because she thinks the car won't start again. :)

I am running electric fans set to come on @ 200 degrees. I run 10W-30 amsoil. I trust my gauge. I work at a power plant I took my gauge in to check the calibration about a year ago and it was within 2 degrees. Yes my oil temp is my main concern so that is why I make sure that I get the wtr temp up using the cardboard.

I am running electric fans set to come on @ 200 degrees. I run 10W-30 amsoil. I trust my gauge. I work at a power plant I took my gauge in to check the calibration about a year ago and it was within 2 degrees. Yes my oil temp is my main concern so that is why I make sure that I get the wtr temp up using the cardboard.
Oh, I though you were looking for heat in the cab. Is oil temp really that big an issue with a synthetic like amsoil?

Hey Dave, Has your problem ceased now that the outside temps have risen? What brand is that aluminum radiator you are using? My stock 3 core, with a solid fan and shroud still runs hot at idle and very slowly cools at cruise. I like your rad/fan setup, and obviously it works well.:nice: