What Is The Widest Size Tire I Can Put On A 15" Turbine Wheel

Lscam580

Aug 27, 2014
Grand Rapids Mi
Ok guys, you've went over this millions of times need some help. Getting different opinions from lots of people. What is the widest size tire I can put under my 87 mustang gt with a stock 15" turbine wheel? I want to keep the wheels, BC they are in great shape. Once I buy tires that's it no going back after I order them. It's a pain in the ars trying to send tires back.

• Sponsors (?)

The widest I've seen was 255/50-15, but they bulged out. I wouldn't go bigger than 245/50-15.
Agreed on that...

However, it is very difficult to find an H speed rated tire (130 MPH) in some of the larger sizes.
It took some wrangling to get a decent set of 225 60-15 H rated tires for my 89 Mustang. There are very few manufacturers that still make that tire.

You may say that you don't need a 130 MPH tire since you won't be driving that fast. The catch is that the H rated tires have stiffer construction and you can really tell a difference on in driving at speeds above 60 MPH. The rear end of the car feels wiggly on corners and banked turns. That went away when I took the tires back to Sam's and had them put the H rated tires on all 4 wheels.

Last edited: