WHAT IS THIS found in oil pan!! NEED help

PI98stang

Jan 17, 2006
Paoli indiana
Hey guys my 99 cobra motor started making a deep knocking sound a while back so I parked it and tore into it today and found that there were NO rod bearings that had been spun but i did find like a ball check valve sort of thing in the oil pan along with a small retainer like clip that fits the stub on the other piece pretty well but the clip is broken in two the check valve is in the pic below but my camera sucks so heres a hopefully good description, it looks like the positive end of a AA battery and is about the same size as well its got like a stud sticking out with a spring and a ball inside of it and the outside ring is made of plastic the other side of it is all plastic except a small hole in the center in which you can see the ball, the plastic on this side is spiraled from the outside of it to the inside hole and the ball, its looks to be some type of a check valve or relief valve, has anyone heard of this and is this why this things knocking the motor has about 3500 miles on it and its a ford reman engine, so if anyone can help me please do so. Thanks

Sorry for the bad pics its all ive got

Attachments

• carpics 002.jpg
    carpics 002.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 283
  • carpics 006.jpg
    carpics 006.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 268
  • Sponsors (?)

what do you mean part of the jacking screw? a couple guys said it looks like a pressure relief valve so is there a pressure relief valve on the oil pump anywhere it looks as if there may be in a pic that i got from the ford dealership but its not detailed enough to tell anything,

HOLY SH.. YOU FOUND A PENNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JK If you take that to ford under warranty they will tell you F... off your stupid. So drive it till it blows and get a 5.3 strokers, heads, cam, intake and a lot of boost. Sure that will be about 20,000 dollars but it doesn't matter its for the stang man.

But in all seriousness take your motor to a machine shop and have it built. You don't want to drive around boosted with that. You can damage the heads, block, etc... if it blows up. If that happens you may/might have to get a whole new motor. No reason to get in the hole that bad with the stang.

My plans are to get this thing lined out, I thought the knock would be a spun rod bearing or something so I pulled off the rod caps and theyre fine, next im going to pull off the main caps to check those but this valve has gotten my attention for now as it has to has a place and im sure it serves some importance, but im going to run off of this almuinum block for now and within the next year or so im going to build an iron block and pour the boost to it, but until then im going to run on this engine as its a new ford reman with 3000 or 4000 miles on it, so if i can get this lined out id be happy for now as I just want to drive this thing it should be a pretty bad dude.

I just tore my entire engine apart and rebuilt it and I never came across anything that looks like that. There are some coolant plugs in the block that are about that size but that sure isn't one of them and I think you might notice a 1/2" hole spewing coolant all over your driveway :D . I would take the part to Ford and see if their parts guys know what it is. I know Randy chimed in above and he is probably a pretty good resource. I would check with your local Ford dealer with the actual part in hand. Looks like something foreign and not from the motor:shrug:. If it is from the motor I would like to know where from so get back to us if you find out.

screw ford remans

Well guys to answer the question above there was valve chatter but its pushed me to where im pulling the engine completly out and it going forged, i hate doing this to a basically new engine but i dont really care anymore this things a pain and i would definately never reccomend anyone getting a ford reman engine, i had a secondary timing tensioner come loose since it wasnt properly tourqued and now this but since im 2nd owner the warranty is void so hell with ford i can build a better engine anyways:lol:

I wanted to run 10s anyways, maybe with forged internals, and a little more boost i could do it you guys think so???