What Is This In My Oil Pan

Discussion in 'Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech' started by sharp2377, Jun 6, 2013.

1. sharp2377

sharp2377 Member

I'm changing the oil pump in my nephews 91 5.0 because of low oil pressure(I know it could be a bad bearing I'm trying this first with motor still in car). When I removed the pump and pick up I noticed chunks of black plastic wedged in the screen and all in the oil pan. At first I thought it was metal but its not magnetic and I can brake it in peices with my fingers. Anyone know wha this is?

Attached Files:

2. David Pepiton

David Pepiton Active Member

possibly from a cheap oil filter? its the only thing i can think of that could make its way in there.
  3. 95PGTTech

95PGTTech Member

Based on the size relative to the box, I'd have to say bottom end. No way something top end made it through the oil drain backs in the head (PCV grommet, valve stem seals, etc.).

Oil filter, o-ring, oil pan gasket pieces?
  4. lxman

lxman Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    It looks like oil pan gasket. If you look close it looks like it has a blue line on one piece and and orange on another. Like markings on the gasket.
  5. David Pepiton

David Pepiton Active Member

I couldn't get the pic to load last night because of issues with my phone but now that I'm on my laptop I can see that I too think it is some sort of gasket.
  6. sharp2377

sharp2377 Member

I don't think its gasket only bbecause its a hard plastic and the peices appear to be rounded. This was just what was in the front of the pan, I pulled twice as much out of the rear of the pan. I have no clue what the hell it is. I'm hoping the pieces were clogging the screen causing low oil pressure. Ill gind out tonight when I start it lol
  7. Noobz347

Noobz347 Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor Admin Dude

Showcase:
    Albums:
    It's gasket. It's been brittled by the oil and heat cycles. There's no other source inside of the motor that can produce that much material without shelling out and there's no other source inside of the motor at all, that can produce anything resembling plastic.
  8. sharp2377

sharp2377 Member

Whatever it was must have been causing the screen to be clogged because the oil pressure is perfect now. Thank god.
  9. TBrannon91

TBrannon91 Member

Yeah that's just the gasket. Had that happen in an old f150 farm truck. Found out after buying the new pump but It never hurts to replace one I reckon.