What is this on my oil cap?

bonestock87

Founding Member
Dec 19, 2001
Cape Coral, FL
Went to change my oil today and when I open the oil fill this is what I find:
21e98nc.jpg

2d7yq8l.jpg

It's been a year since the oil was changed, but less than 4k miles. I use Motorcraft 5W20 Synthetic Blend and have since I've owned it beginning at 29k miles, it now has 67k miles. As far as I could tell there was none of this down in the motor and the oil that came out of the pan was fine, just black. My father-in-law says he thinks its from the oil breaking down from being old. Any thoughts? Here is a pic down inside:
p28er.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Most likely it's condensation. If you're not seeing the milkshake down in the pan, that's probably just where condensation has accumulated inside the engine. Does it come up to operating temperature every time you drive it, or does it sometimes get short trips?

Short trips most of the time. I typically drive my '93 4-banger to work but it's down right now, so for the last month I've been driving the '03. Work is only 6.5 miles away, I consider that a short trip. The father-in-law said condensation too. I can confidentaly say none of this came out of the oil pan.

It could be either condensation or the oil braking down. Just as a precaution I would check the coolant level and keep an eye on it.

I would yank both valve cover and take a look to see if that crap is in the valvetrain.

Also I would never leave oil in the car for an entire year regardless if I drove the car 2500 miles or 50. Its simply not a good idea and most oil makers say x miles or x months. Amsoil being the exception but I do believe that they even say if the vehicle sits to long change the oil.

Short trips most of the time. I typically drive my '93 4-banger to work but it's down right now, so for the last month I've been driving the '03. Work is only 6.5 miles away, I consider that a short trip. The father-in-law said condensation too. I can confidentaly say none of this came out of the oil pan.

Yes thats all this is, nothin to worry about. very common

Pull the stick, if it looks normal then likely it is just condensation
Everything looked normal.
Peanut butterrr? Yummy
No, no, it didn't taste like peanut butter. More of a Wherther's Original flavor.:D
But from the looks of those cams it's coolant getting in to the engine.. What did the oil look like when you changed it?
Completely clean cams = coolant in the engine?:shrug: The oil came out of the pan looking completely normal, just a little darker than I have ever let it get.

I appreciate all the responses, I'm chalking it up to condensation. The goo was only at the very top of the oil fill neck and cap. I've only got 67k miles and I don't beat on the car, usually shifting at 2k rpm's. The coolant level is spot on as well. I will say I never intended to leave the oil in that long regardless of the mileage. Won't be doing that again.:nono: