What is this on my tail light panel?

• Sponsors (?)

It's called a ribbed tail panel insert, they're fairly rare, the repops are much cheaper/flimsier and run >$400 last time I checked so if a repop is that much imagine what an original is worth....

I have one on my '67 coupe, they were an option, cost $15 in '67. They are held on by screws in the trunk, don't over tighten them if you ever take it off as they pull out easy and may rip a hole in the panel. From what I've read they either came painted to match the body or are left bare pot metal gray steel. They are different fit for the fb vs. coupe as the trunk lid / tailpanel are shaped a little different.
Jon

Here's a pic of mine:
IMG_1600.jpg

Yeah I have never seen another in person, only online. I was hoping it meant something cool but it sounds like it was just a dress up piece. I hated it when I got the car but it has grown on me so I think I will keep it. Thanks

I was hoping it meant something cool but it sounds like it was just a dress up piece. Thanks

I've read that they add at least 10HP!:nice: hows that for something cool?

I like mine since it breaks up the flat tail panel look and makes the tail lights look more sunken. I plan to paint mine satin black to match my hood/upper fenders since i'm going with the transam paint scheme. Being red like the body makes it disappear and most don't even notice it on the car at shows/cruisins'
Jon