What is this part...!?!?!?

atey950

Founding Member
Aug 5, 1999
Southeastern PA
Ok. Please look at the attached picture.
493202_15_full.jpg

I have outlined a part and I need to know what it is. :shrug: I was on the dyno last week and, afterwards I noticed that the car seems a lot louder inside. It sounds like a nasty exhaust leak. I assumed a connection loosened up while being on the dyno :mad: . But yesterday I noticed this outlined piece laying on top of my pass side header with a piece of rubber hose about 4 inches long attached to it. It was obdvioulsy attached as shown in the pic. It was connected to that steel tubing that sticks out right there. I am thinking this could be a culprit to the noisy exhaust coming from the engine compartment. It must be a part of the EGR system....right...?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

It is either the emissions bar behind, which attaches to the rear of each head and then comes to the passenger side there where it attaches to a rubber hose. If that is not it, it is the similar pipe that runs down to the H-pipe, also for emissions. Both of these things connect to hoses right next to the header, and are then connected to the smog pump on the front of the motor!

Both of these either need to be hooked up, or capped off!

Well, I know that steel tube is not connected to my x-pipe, so I guess it is connected with the head somehow.......? I think it was just capped off. So I dont even need the valve that was there if I am just going to cap it off anyway....right?

SO I guess that means that this piece comong off would not contribute to the leaky exhaust sound I am hearing? I guess I will just cap off the steel tube then.....If I ever pull the motor, I will rip out the steel tubing.