What is this?

• Sponsors (?)

Mustang5L5 said:
WTF?

Something is up with your intake. That is a stock 5.0 intake, but that hole should be drilled. Perhaps that's a 5.0 marine lower intake.

Yea im really :scratch: on that lower too...I want to say its def not the stock lower since it looks brand spankin new and since it doesnt have that ACT hole. Although the upper does have some wear and tear on it, and a Explorer lower wouldnt match right with a stock upper so IDK, Im lost on that lol :shrug:

That engine is probably out of a 94-95 5.0 Mustang. They had the steel valve covers, and the ACT was located in the intake hose behind the air filter instead of in the manifold. The old style 87-93 upper will bolt up to the 94-95 lower as well. Bad news is it most likely will not have forged pistons

what about the upper intake of a lincoln non h.o engine.
could it be one of those uppers turned backwards with a mustang "5.0 HO" plaque???
myabe im an idiot, i dunno anything about those engines but that was just my first thought.
could that be done?

This is part of a tech note I wrote for a Explorer/GT40 manifold swap. It details the fix for your problem.

The ACT (Air Charge Temp) sensor will probably need to be moved. The manifold isn't drilled & tapped for it to go into the intake like the stock manifold was. There is a boss cast into the manifold, but a machine shop will have to drill & tap the new manifold. The best spot for the ACT is the air box if you don't do the drill and tap thing. You get to cut and splice the 2 ACT wires in order to make them long enough to reach the air box. Solder the wire extensions on the existing wires & use heat shrink tubing to cover the splices. Offset the place where you cut the wires so that you don't have a big bulge when you put heat shrink over the 2 wires to cover & protect them. The air box gets a hole (5/8" or so) for the ACT drilled about 1 1/4" down & 1/1/4" in on the front top side near the upper radiator hose. A brass fitting nut from Home Depot or Ace Hardware secures the ACT into the air box.

If you are very clever, you will find that the ACT connector comes apart so that you can remove the pins. A very small screwdriver releases the lock in the front of the center insert, while another small screwdriver inserted in the back pushes it out. Once the center insert is out of the connector shell, the pins come out easily. New pins are available from AutoZone in a $5 electrical pin kit for Fords. Crimping the pins on the extender wires saves you from having to splice them twice: once to put the connector on and once to extend the wires.

6 ft black 18 gauge wire
6 ft green 18 gauge wire
6 ft 1/4" heat shrink tubing
1 ft 3/16" heat shrink tubing

Measure the 2 extender wires & cut them to length, crimp one set of pins on them. Then mate up the extender pins with the wiring harness & slide the 3/16" heat shrink tubing over them & shrink the tubing. Then slide the 1/4" heat shrink tubing over the pair of wires and shrink the tubing. When you are done you'll have about 1" of wire left without heat shrink tubing on it to strip & crimp the new pins on. Stick the new pins in the old connector shell, assemble it and you are done. It looks as good as factory. Some wire loom can be used to enhance the "Factory Look".

I was afraid that the engine was out of a 94 or 95. I'm not too worried about the sensor right now because i will be swapping in my performer intake and tfs cam as soon i get some heads. But now i might just have to get a forged small block. Well it depends on what kind of deal i come across.

I agree, now thinking about it...it's a 94-95 engine with Fox accessories, upper intake and other supporting hardware.

The black steel covers are a dead giveaway now that i think about it. That's purely 94-95 right there

Mustang5L5 said:
I agree, now thinking about it...it's a 94-95 engine with Fox accessories, upper intake and other supporting hardware.
The black steel covers are a dead giveaway now that i think about it. That's purely 94-95 right there

Yeah thats what I have been thinking for a while now and I'm pretty positive thats what it is. I have noticed that my lower intake is almost brand new clean. I have the car since late 02' and I do a great job of keeping the engine clean. But still there is not a bit of dirt on it and all I do is pressure wash it, I think I only used degreaser when I first got it. Once I get the heads though it is all coming off anyway.