What kind of gas mileage to expect from a 96-02 GT?

tx2000gt

May 27, 2005
Would be stock for awhile, other than a full exhaust and a CAI. Just kind of wondering, since I've always wanted to buy my own Mustang, and finally have the money to do so as I'm going into college.

• Sponsors (?)

back when i was living in texas i would get 19-20mpg average on every tank no matter how i drove it, it was roughly half city half highway

i've done over 400 miles to the tank (winter, a/c off, cruise control) so that equals about 28-29mpg all highway

now i get 15 all city

Keep your exhaust stock and youll get good gas mileage. Soon as you change 1 part of ur exhaust system your gas mileage goes down b/c you like to play around with the loud padel to much.

Example: Instead of shifting @ 2200 rpm.. you instead shift @ 3000 so you can hear the 2500rpm sweet spot sound plus the extra umph from the exhaust pipes.

Instead of starting at first gear and shifting @ 2500 you gun it in 1st and shift into second @ 5000 rpm just to hear the exhaust.

Or You downshift into 1st from 3rd just to hear the exhaust roar and pop than you gun it and shift into 2nd.

boy do i have to full up my car every other day ;] it seems

Keep your exhaust stock and youll get good gas mileage. Soon as you change 1 part of ur exhaust system your gas mileage goes down b/c you like to play around with the loud padel to much.

Example: Instead of shifting @ 2200 rpm.. you instead shift @ 3000 so you can hear the 2500rpm sweet spot sound plus the extra umph from the exhaust pipes.

Instead of starting at first gear and shifting @ 2500 you gun it in 1st and shift into second @ 5000 rpm just to hear the exhaust.

Or You downshift into 1st from 3rd just to hear the exhaust roar and pop than you gun it and shift into 2nd.

boy do i have to full up my car every other day ;] it seems

That is SO true...lol...my last two tanks I have gotten 21-22MPG combined.

i got an 02 gt with exaust and a drop in k&n and im getting 17-18 city and only been all freeway once and i got 28 mpg. for the 28 i hit 120 and 90 at least 5 times... i think 30 is possible for freeway

i think 30 is possible for freeway

very possible

when i was living in houston i would go home for the holidays, three day weekends and such, 370 miles driveway to driveway

i would fill up in houston and pull into the driveway at my parents house with 1/4 tank. i set the cruise at 75 as the min. speed but was above 80 most of the time

if i had cruise set at 55-60 i would have knocked down over 30mpg easy

25 on the highway
20 mostly highway to and from work, with ALOT of WOT blasts in between. My car never seems to get under 20MPG. I fill up every day, and put 100 miles per day on it....always 4-5 gallons.

Car gets about the same as it did stock. And thats with 3.73 gears out back :)