what kind of hood pins are these..

billbraskey

Feb 2, 2006
looking for hood pins for my new pin on hood.. i keep seing cars with flat looking pins or whatever.. i wish i could find a pic...anyone no what im talking about:shrug: not the round style with a pin but more flush with the car .. the ones i saw were oval or somthing...looked in summit couldnt find them ..anyone have any idea what im talking about...

• Sponsors (?)

I think that what you're referring to are the locking hood pins.

View attachment 388795

If these are what you're thinking of, they are not adequate to hold the hood down. In other words, they're not designed or intended to keep your hood from flying off the car.

You might want to try using hardware called "Airlock Fasteners" (ltop) or "Dzus Fasteners" (middle) or "Cam-Lock Fasters (bottom). They're used in the aircraft industry to hold exterior panels on.

14014_109_1.jpg

14014_109_2.jpg

14014_108_1.jpg

Either that, or get with your local speed shop and see what method they use to hold thir pinned hoods on (meaning that they won't let loose while you plow down the quater mile).

those are the same thing Daggar posted above, They intended for securing body panels to race cars for fast easy removal, Not a hood for street duty.

I just think you would regret it later.

regret it later .. how so? not sure i ill use them or not just wanted to do somthing diffrent than the normal pins on four corners.. thought those might look nice thre on each side...was just worried if they would be a pita to instal and what not ... might look nice?.. or put one on each side of the cowl in the back .. and have normal hood pins on the front... just toying with a few idead i guess...thanks for all the replies!

Yes... they will hold the hood down whether it's a DD or Race vehicle.

They can be had in chrome finish or stainless if you prefer (as well as the regular aluminum, stell, etc.). They are the fasterners that are intended for this type of application when there are no hinges etc. for the hood. In other words: They are for a lift-off type of hood (the cool looking flush mount stuff above are not desigend for lift-off hoods). Not only do they hold the hood down, when properly installed, they also snug it down (you can get them in quarter or half turn-to-click, I believe).

If your hood has rear hinges then I'd likely go a different route.