what kind of oil? for 2011 5.0.

bobwb

Dec 11, 2009
are they coming from the factory with syn. motor oil? if not are you new 5.0 guys switching over? thanks just trying to get more info before i buy one. i test drove one when they just arived up here, i,am hooked, got mama finnally talked in to it.

• Sponsors (?)

i think i would ask the dealer 1st. before buying one, syn. is much better then reg. oil. ill bet yours might have syn. in it? mabye the 4.6s did regular oil? the new 5.0 is a far su;pieor engine then the 4.6s.

i think i would ask the dealer 1st. before buying one, syn. is much better then reg. oil. ill bet yours might have syn. in it? mabye the 4.6s did regular oil? the new 5.0 is a far su;pieor engine then the 4.6s.

Pretty sure the dealer's answer to your question is gonna be Motorcraft. ;)

+1 on the who cares what the factory fill is, it is gonna be changed out for synthetic (insert favorite brand here) anyways with the majority of owners.

My last 4 Fords came from the factory with synthetic blend, unless someone lied to me. I always get my oil changes done at a dealer too, because they claim to use only synthetic blend unless otherwise requested, plus I think that's a fine choice for general use. They also do it quicker than me and it keeps me from having to go to a parts store to return my used oil and the price is good as far as I'm concerned, except for diesel vehicles. Even then it's a fair price, all things considered.

To answer the OP's original question, from what I understand, they come from the factory filled with Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20.

That's what my dealer told me. Also they use a Motorcraft oil filter as well.

When it's about $40 for an oil change from the dealer vs the cost of 0w20 full synthetic mobil 1 at about $8/qt with 8 quarts needed (plus filter & tools required to do the job). It sure seems expensive to not let the dealer do it. Plus getting them done at the dealership keeps a paper trail to prove maintenance on the car for any future warranty claims.

I wonder how many miles you could go with 5w20 motorcraft synthetic blend w/ motorcraft filter vs 0w20 mobil 1 full synthetic w/ K&N HP-2011 oil filter and what the gas mileage difference would be. I doubt it would be enough to justify the increased cost but I could be wrong.

According to the owner's manual, only synthetic 5W-20 is supposed to be used in the 5.0. So it's safe to assume it has synthetic from the factory.

Also, you should NOT use any other viscosity other than the recommended 5W-20. TI-VCT uses oil pressure to operate, and changing oil viscosity (and thus oil pressure) can interfere with the operation of it.

TI-VCT uses oil pressure to operate, and changing oil viscosity (and thus oil pressure) can interfere with the operation of it.

Not quite (although oil pressure is a factor):
"There is variable valve timing on both the intake- and exhaust-valve cams. Ford uses a cam-torque-actuated system, and each of the cam adjusters, located within the cam sprocket, has three lobes surrounded by oil. Solenoids control the flow of oil into the adjusters, and the size of the oil pocket on either side of each lobe is pumped up or reduced by using the energy from the natural fluctuations in cam torque as the valves open and close. This makes the cams move relative to the motion from the timing chain. Compared with systems where oil pressure is the motive force, Ford says this arrangement is faster and more efficient, and it doesn’t require a bigger pump."

It's a different system than the oil-pressure-controlled cam timing adjustments.

Based on these higher-tech engines and all the things they monitor, I agree with you that using a different viscosity could alter things.

It's my understanding that he only difference between 0w20 and 5w20 is that 0w20 doesn't get as thick when it cools off (i.e. less engine wear upon engine startup) but they have the same thinkness once they get up to operating temperature.

Motor Oil 103 - Part Three. You Have a Synthetic Mind

The Mobil 1 0w20 bottle says that it can be used wherever 5w20 is recommended by the manufacturer and that it should give you improved gas mileage.

Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy Fully Synthetic Motor Oil

It's my understanding that he only difference between 0w20 and 5w20 is that 0w20 doesn't get as thick when it cools off (i.e. less engine wear upon engine startup) but they have the same thinkness once they get up to operating temperature.

Motor Oil 103 - Part Three. You Have a Synthetic Mind

The Mobil 1 0w20 bottle says that it can be used wherever 5w20 is recommended by the manufacturer and that it should give you improved gas mileage.

Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy Fully Synthetic Motor Oil

Yes, but read the description above. If your oil is a different viscosity when cold, then it may affect the operation of TI-VCT when cold.