what kind of oil????

torch93

Aug 14, 2010
bakersfield c.a
hey guys just about to put my last miles on my break in.. and just wanted to know what kind of oil do u rec. for me to use? syn? or regular?:shrug:
i have a 342 all forged internal kit, with 185 afrs, x cam, 24lbs, 10.5:1 compression.. i get both ends of the story, synthetic is good.. its bad... same for regular oil.. what you guys rec.?

• Sponsors (?)

Ohhhhh boy here we go...

As for my suggestion, I would say a 5w since youre in cali and dont fight cold weather. maybe like a 5w30. As for brand, you will now proceed to get around 40 opinion and 15 studies on whether synthetic is better or not. I suggest use your normal brand youve always used and in that weight and viscosity I recommended.

as said before oil opinions are going to be all over the place..... im at 103k on a orginal 5.0 block and ive never had a problem with 5w 30 mobil 1 syth. ive ran mobil 1 syth in everythign ive ever owned and never had a problem..... but then again you get people like my uncle whos a castrol gtx guy so you never really know..... ive also had friends tell me all the oil is the same and its just shipped to different companies and they just slap thier name on it. oils kinda like gas..... everyone says thiers is better but you really never see the difference.

as said before oil opinions are going to be all over the place..... im at 103k on a orginal 5.0 block and ive never had a problem with 5w 30 mobil 1 syth. ive ran mobil 1 syth in everythign ive ever owned and never had a problem..... but then again you get people like my uncle whos a castrol gtx guy so you never really know..... ive also had friends tell me all the oil is the same and its just shipped to different companies and they just slap thier name on it. oils kinda like gas..... everyone says thiers is better but you really never see the difference.

Synthetic is fine so long as he uses it AFTER he breaks in the engine. If you really want to know what is the best oil read the API reports.

Realistically, the filter can be just as or more important than the oil. I've heard of guys who never change the oil in their racecars and only change the filter and add oil as needed and their engines are squeaky clean inside.

Realistically, the filter can be just as or more important than the oil. I've heard of guys who never change the oil in their racecars and only change the filter and add oil as needed and their engines are squeaky clean inside.

Oil threads...beat to death. If you can't make a decision, change your oil early and often with a brand name product.

Really want to supercharge your oil filter? Add 2 or 3 dime sized rare earth magnets. Ferrous particles are what cause a good chunk of your bearing wear. Pull these out and you will extend the life of your engine.

Disc Magnets

If you want a low/no cost source of these, pull apart an old hard disc drive.