What kind of performance loss with 18's?

• Sponsors (?)

Hmmm....I didn't really notice a difference either. I upgraded to 18x9.5 Y2k Cobra R's on 275/35 on all 4-corners. The handling/braking are better, but I get alot of bump-steer when I go on bad roads. Kinda sucks, but o well.

WRXracer said:
you will have a faster top speed.. but you are going to accelerate slower.. just get gears..

How is that possible? You still keep the same overall wheel diameter.... :scratch:

Anyways, only problem with 18"ers is the decreased traction as opposed to your 17"ers. 18" = thinner sidewall tire = less "give" to the tire = spinnnnnnnn

Just get some FAT rubber to help :nice:

It all depends on the outer diameter of the tire you are going to use. A bigger tire (presumbaly used on the 18" rim) will increase your effective gear ratio and thus decrease your effective acceleration. If the outer tire diam. is the same it will not affect your acceleration at all.

Like stated above, the total weigh weight difference is going to be more of a factor than jumping from 17-18's. I went from teh stock 5-stars, 245/45's to the 03 Cobra's 275-40's and I noticed a difference on the street and the track I lost .1-.2 and around 2mph. Havent weighed the difference yet, but I'm guessing it's around 10-15lbs (total) or so.

01BlkGT said:
Like stated above, the total weigh weight difference is going to be more of a factor than jumping from 17-18's. I went from teh stock 5-stars, 245/45's to the 03 Cobra's 275-40's and I noticed a difference on the street and the track I lost .1-.2 and around 2mph. Havent weighed the difference yet, but I'm guessing it's around 10-15lbs (total) or so.
Yeah, I lost 2 MPH too. Traction was a little worse too, 275/40 has no sidewall, 225/55's had a lot more :p
66 lbs more than the stock's!!! But I had 16" stocks. oy.

wickedgt70 said:
It all depends on the outer diameter of the tire you are going to use. A bigger tire (presumbaly used on the 18" rim) will increase your effective gear ratio and thus decrease your effective acceleration. If the outer tire diam. is the same it will not affect your acceleration at all.
I agree with the first part.. but if you have a wider tire and an 18 inch rim both will be heavier than stock effecting acceleration.. i want new rims really badly, but I would never spend money on something that would make me any slower. sucks :rolleyes:

I made the same change and lost .4 :mad: I could not believe it so I took both sets of tires to the track and made 2 passes on each all in about an hour and I did loose .4. Now my cobra R's with nitto's are for sale to be replaced with Welds and BFG. It SUCKS to spend $500 to gain .4 and spend $1500 to loose .4 :bang:

Just get some lightweight 18's and you'll have the best of both worlds. I think Steeda Ultra-Lites are only like 22 lbs each (can't remember what the stockers weigh, but it more than that). Go with my personal favorite, BBS RK's :hail2: , and their 18x10" is only like 19 lbs. Too bad they cost like $500 each in the plasma finish. :nonono:

I don't know how much slower I am now with my 18's but the looks is well worth it to me. Thats just me though. But I'm sure I'm a little slower. BTW, does anyone know how much 18x9 chrome cobras weight compared to stock bulliets?

GotMustangs said:
Just get some lightweight 18's and you'll have the best of both worlds. I think Steeda Ultra-Lites are only like 22 lbs each (can't remember what the stockers weigh, but it more than that). Go with my personal favorite, BBS RK's :hail2: , and their 18x10" is only like 19 lbs. Too bad they cost like $500 each in the plasma finish. :nonono:

That's my eventual plan too. Steeda ultralights :nice: