What Kind Of Radiator For A 96 Gt

chapters707

Jul 13, 2014
Hi I need to get a new radiator and overflow tank for my 96 GT and have come to find that 96 had a specific radiator setup for that year only. However, I have read that there was a recall on these cars because of the cooling systems and if this is a weak point I would rather try to get a radiator for a 97 if it will work. I am under the impression you just have to modify the brackets and it will work, is this true? For those of you with 96 GTs do you have issues with overheating? How about the cooling fan is this something i I should upgrade as well?

• Sponsors (?)

Try this. Go to oreillyauto.com and enter your car's information. Select the part in question. Once the part has been drilled into there's a "compatibility" tab. This will show all of the other "applications" the particular part will also fit.

I haven't done it but I suspect the 96 and 97 does use the same radiator (not positive).

But, it is true that Ford redesigned the radiator installed in early 96 GT's. The original radiator was only a problem in very HOT areas of the country (think deep south). The original radiator was enough for Northern locations.

But. any replacement radiator bought today would be to the new standard and should work anywhere in the country.

OBTW, I did own a 96 GT for a period of time. I also live in a very hot area (Houston). My car was stock and I never had problems over heating.

Reactions: 1 user
Try this. Go to oreillyauto.com and enter your car's information. Select the part in question. Once the part has been drilled into there's a "compatibility" tab. This will show all of the other "applications" the particular part will also fit.

I haven't done it but I suspect the 96 and 97 does use the same radiator (not positive).

But, it is true that Ford redesigned the radiator installed in early 96 GT's. The original radiator was only a problem in very HOT areas of the country (think deep south). The original radiator was enough for Northern locations.

But. any replacement radiator bought today would be to the new standard and should work anywhere in the country.

OBTW, I did own a 96 GT for a period of time. I also live in a very hot area (Houston). My car was stock and I never had problems over heating.
Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I checked out the part finder and it does indeed only work with the 96 GTs and cobras. That was what I was hoping to hear though, I live in a pretty moderate climate (northern CA) and won't be running any crazy high horsepower in the near future as this is my daily driver. Plus I'm planning on getting an aluminum performance radiator and overflow reservoir so hopefully I won't run into any issues!