What kind of welder do I need?

I agree 230V machines aren't necessary if you're just going to work on your stang. You'll be much happier with a 110 machine. And if you do decide to ever weld really heavy stuff you just have to make more passes. Besides when the steel is 1/4" or greater most professionals will stick weld it. You get just as much penetration and heavy welding is generally done outside anyway. Ever tried to MIG weld outside when the wind is blowing?

Anyhow, I'm surprised nobody has gone into when and where you'd want to use a TIG machine? Unlike MIG welds, TIG welds aren't stronger than the two materials they join. Therefore they can be planished easily. This is *really* important if you plan on doing a lot of work with an old car that you can't buy reproduction sheetmetal for. When you weld, the surface of the sheetmetal wants to wrinkle up when the heat goes away. Planishing the surface will bring the sheetmetal back straight. Some people might wonder why you can't just TIG weld everything? Well there are some limitations. TIG is less tolerant of unclean sheetmetal. I've MIG welded some nasty stuff before including over rust and paint. Sometimes you just don't have a choice unless you've got a rotisserie and a sandblaster. Also TIG welding is difficult to do on thinner gauge sheetmetal. So while you may be able to TIG weld everything on a 32 Ford, you might not be able to touch an 06 Mustang.

d

• Sponsors (?)