what kinda engines are in normal cop cars.

staticc

Founding Member
Sep 28, 2002
Jupiter, FL
in regular crown royals or whatever they are. not the highway pursuit cars :p
and what kinda HP/TQ do they have?
i just want to know if id be able to lose a cop if i felt like it.
not that id ever ACTUALLY do it. im just curious.

id say my H/I/C 302 is putting 300hp down.
:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

the ford merc based ones have 4.6 SOCH and the old chevy caprices had LT1's LS1's. I was at a track once and for the police's agaist crime thing, they were at the imports vs. domestic day running there cop cars. One was a stock police car and it ran a low 15 andt eh other had a turbo on it and ran a low 14. It was great to see teh police cars pull up and unload a burnout. Then race other cars down the quarter mile. It was real neat.

I think the crown vic police interceptors run low 16's in the quarter or something around that :shrug:

If I remember correctly a stock crown victoria is actually a tad faster than a police interceptor version because it doesn't have all the added weight of the cop car (lights, guns,...etc)

Don't worry, even if you were to try to "outrun" one it wouldn't be a problem...but like stated above be wairy of the radio :nice:

The Chevrolet Caprices came with lt1's with 270 horsepower but with all that weight they are similar to Land Yachts.... :D

Speaking of Chevies....watch out for the B4C Optioned Camaros (Camaro Police Interceptor)....they have the ls1 and I think are a tad lighter than the usual ls1 camaro but I'm sure the lights...etc...make up for the lost weight....

David

I heard once from a friend who heard it from a friend, so i'm not sure how reliable it is... that the're not too fast really but that they top out at about 135 ish and could do that all day long without fail (unless you ran out of gas :) ) because of the upgraded stuff they put on there... one of my many great plans for the future would to build up one of those old ex-cop cars and have some fun!

-Bart

TrophyHead said:
Since were kinda talking about out running cops.

Do you think I can get away with a GSXR 750 I'VE GOT A PLAN.

Um Eaisly....i had a GSXR 600 and i topped that out at 170mph, just be sure u know how to ride good, My friend tryied to out run them on his gixxer 750 and lost the cop but then he lost his bike around a curve...now he has a felony (fleeing and alouting) sometimes not worth it for something that you'd prolly get a warning for.

i had an ex cop that used to work for me tell me that all intercepters have to pass a 0-100-0 test and have to make it in a given time frame in order to pass as a cop car. I cant remember the time, but he said they haul A$$. The downfall is all the weight. Back in the day you might have had a cop car with a different motor than a stocker but now they're all about cost efficiency. My car is just a plain old 5.0 HO when it comes down to the engine, it's the other little tid bits that set it aside from the rest.

The 2003 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor has the 4.6L SOHC V8 engine in it, rated at 239hp and 287ft/lbs of torque. The tranny is the standard ADOE, and the power is put to the road through a 3.27 rear end (Trac-Lock and Traction Control are optional).

It's been a very long time since police cars got special motors put in them. Police cars just don't need to be the fastest thing on the road. They need to be quick, roomy, reliable and (most important to municipal bean counters) relatively inexpensive.

There are no special "police chips" put into them that make them faster. I'm sure you've all heard the rumor about the special chip that the police pull out of the ECM before they auction the cars off to the public. There are some subtle ECM programming differences in the police packaged CVs -- higher shift points, firmer shifts, higher or eliminated speed limiter, higher idle speed, etc..

The things that make the police cars different are very subtle: High output electrical systems with special equipment wiring and power distribution panels; Certified calibration speedometers; Spotlights or "spotlight prep" packages; Electrical bonding straps; etc. It's almost all funtional, rather than performance changes.

The "Special Service" vehicles (like the SSP mustang, and the B4C Camaro) are used as special pursuit vehicles. They have some special functional options installed (speedo, high capacity electrical systems) but they generally fail to meet police durability requirements to get a "police package" label. They are pretty poor when it comes to general law enforcement use, but they are great for highway pursuits which is their specialty.

I work with cops all the time and a lot of the ones i know are car guys.

I always ask them about their police cruisers. I've seem em all, Luminas, Crown Vics, Caprices, Impalas, Explorers undercover and marked.

In general, the Caprice seems to be the favorite. It's big and rides comfortably, and it's got enough motor to actually be able to sustain a high speed.

The biggest complaint i hear about the crown vis is no top end. They all say it dies off around 90-100MPH due to the light bars and bumper pushers and such.

I've heard plenty of stores where some car outruns them. One funny story is when one officer i was talking to found out I drove a Mustang. He asked what kind, i said "An '88 5.0". He said "Aw the other day i tried to pull over a 5.0 Mustang, well the ****er gunned it and took off on me and was gone. I didn't even bother. I shut my lights off and turned around."

Like everyone said they are just your average run of the mill Crown Vics 220hp for single exhaust, 239hp for duals. I've been reading that Florida Highway Patrol has picked up some Mercury Marauders to use unmarked, for "aggressive driving enforcement." Those are the 302hp 318 lb/ft DOHC 4.6L with 3.55 T-loc and look like Grand Marquis's with no chrome and Bullitt exhaust tips. Plus they will be in pretty metallic colors.

how about highway patrol cars? I've heard that in California they used to use 5.0s :shrug: lol that would be pretty sweet...one time I was watching scariest police chases and this cop was driving a 5.0, going after some guy in a camaro I think? Camaro got his ass handed to him :lol: what a cool cop hahahahah :nice: