What mods won't damage the ENTIRE warranty?

aggiedj02

May 9, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Well my question is just that... I have a 02 and it is still under warranty. I like mods, I have some even, but I was curious what mods ruin the entire warranty?

Do gears ruin the entire warranty? Would an intake system ruin the entire warranty, or just that portion of the warranty?

What can I/we get away with. The dealership I go to by the way is pretty leniant b/c I live in a college town.

• Sponsors (?)

Pretty much any mod will void your warranty, not the whole thing but a part of it. For example if you put on an intake then you will void your engine warranty so if your tranny gets ****ed up your alright, UNLESS Ford trys to blaim the tranny on the intake. But they wont know what you have on your car if you dont bring it back to the dealer, plus most mods you can take off if you need to go back. But if you want to mod your car then forget about the warrany.

When I bought the car the first thing that I asked about was what mods will void the warranty. They told me that a catback was ok, and a CAI was ok too....but that's pretty much it. It's true that they can void it later by saying that the problems with the car a result of the mods (eg:motor going because of nitrous)

By law any mod only voids the warranty on that part, or any part that is damaged as a direct result of that modification. If you change your plenum then you spin a bearing due to bad oil pump, they are still required to fix it. The problem is the dealerships like to find reasons to void warranties since they lose money on warranty repairs, and they know most people won't spend the money to fight them in court.
http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/magnusonmoss.htm

The following text was taken from the Kenne Bell FAQ's web site. Make you own conclusions.

Does the supercharger void my new vehicle warranty? No. It is against Federal Law for a Dealer to refuse a warranty claim because an aftermarket product has been installed on your vehicle. If a warranty is denied, contact the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) at (202) 260-2080 or www.epa.gov or the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at (202) 326-3128 or www.ftc.gov. Additional information is available at the SEMA (Specialty Equipment Manufacturers Association) website www.sema.org. Kenne Bell is a member of SEMA.

i just think its unfair to expect ford, or any manufacturer, to fix something that was a result of a part they didnt make. lets say that you did put a KB blower on your stang and a few thousand miles later you toss a rod through the block. now do you think ford should be required to give you a new motor. i think not. with modding there is a certain responsibility of knowing that you are tampering with something that engineers got paid beaucoup bucks to design to run for thousands of miles without issue.