What motor oil you running

• Sponsors (?)

Usually Mobil 1 10w30 with a Napa Gold 1515 (Wix) filter.

Today, I'm doing an oil change and going to run AMSOIL 10w30 with the same filter.

(Heard that Mobil 1 has some chlorine in it that is bad for the engine.)

Motorcraft 10w30 FL1A filter
Kinda OT: My dad told me he used syn. 1 time in a car and it messed up and never used it after that. He told me don't use it and I haven't. Probably has changed since then but why change now.
What does he mean it messed it up?? Syn are just more refined and stand up to "shearing" better then dino oil does. What has happend is over the years some cars that aren't well maintained develope crud and it clogs oil leaks and what not. Then they decide to switch to syn that have more cleaning agents and it "incloges" old wounds so they automatically blame syn for leaks.

The only stuff to stay away from is that "Synthetic Blend" crap like Castrol sells...

It's a literal mix of their synthetic and conventional oils- while this sounds good in theory, in practice it can lead to a dangerous situation under extreme heat and high RPM...the two oils can separate, creating a dangerous condition in which proper lubrication isn't provided.

While this isn't likely to happen normally, the fact that it can happen period is enough to keep me away from "synthetic blend"...that, and for $1 more a quart I can get the real synthetic stuff.