What needs to be done to my 5.0 to keep up with 11 5.0's

even if you could make it keep up with a new mustang would you really want to drive it everyday? MPGs will likely be 10 or lower, probably no a/c, and you would still have all the issues an aging fox does. The 11 is brand new, gets great mileage, has all the creature comforts, and still has that new car smell.

Why :shrug: My car makes more than double the power of an '11 GT, still has A/C, powersteering, and got 22 mpg the last time I drove a long distance. :D Does it have issues? Yes! That's part of the game, though. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Oh, if I had the money I'd buy a brand new GT... and I wouldn't be able to do much to it because I just couldn't modify anything that might make it anything less than "nice". However, little hesitation when it comes to an old fox that's got some miles on it.

Anyone who buys a new car and starts racing it either has more dollars than sense or is kind of stupid because it won't be "new" for very long.

However, what it would take to make your fox hang with a new GT would't take a whole lot in the $ department.

Drove one, it was nice for what it is..a new car. The new '11 thing has worn off for me the fox has more character. I will always say the draw of the fox ( and most muscle cars) to me is the rawness. the creaks, moans and feeling connected to the road and the car itself.

when I drive my fox hard on a winding road or empty lot you gotta drive it, the car wants you to control it or it will smack you right up the side of the head but can be very docile. I didn't get that persay with the new car, it was something different. It has higher limits but easier to drive minus the lame electric power steering, it's over boosted and doesn't have a connected feel.when I was done driving the '11 I didn't have that " i gotta have it feeling". just my opinion.

Why :shrug: My car makes more than double the power of an '11 GT, still has A/C, powersteering, and got 22 mpg the last time I drove a long distance. :D Does it have issues? Yes! That's part of the game, though. :nice:
and to me thats the thing. The fox platform can never be what the 11 is because it will always have those issues. Those issues are the reason I dont daily it anymore either. Its apples to oranges. Besides, there is a reason I have a fox and not an 11. Everyone has a new stang or camaro. Hardly anyone is rocking one that is 20 years old. If I see more than one fox a week its been a busy week.

True, but there's a pretty good chance that in 2031, the '11s are going to have some issues, too :)

I like working those issues out. And issues come with significant modification in any car. Cars break. Also, you sometimes try things one way and realize that you don't like it as much as the next idea you have. So you change it again. Like I said, it's part of the game, and it comes with the territory of modifications.

Chris

Besides, there is a reason I have a fox and not an 11. Everyone has a new stang or camaro. Hardly anyone is rocking one that is 20 years old. If I see more than one fox a week its been a busy week.

Meh, they'll be saying the same thing about the SN95's in 10-years, and the first S197's 10-15 years after that. It's all realative to time...not so much the vehicle in question. Old car's are initially affordable, that's why people get them.

I still remember when EFI hit the Fox Body. The old school hot rodders threw up their arms and called it the end of performance as we know it. Boooooy were they mistaken. :D

That's not 100% true... Look at the Mustang IIs. :D

Seriously though, that's a car that was wildly popular in its time, but people don't want anything to do with them now.

Agreed. Some older cars may garner a small following but few will have the staying power of the fox body. Its closing in on 19 years since the last one was produced before moving on to the SN95 and I see at least 3-4 besides my own at the car meet.

So, was the consensus that you need a power adder to beat the new 5.0 or just a nice H/C/I set up with suspension?

Not a consensus by any stretch of imagination, but in the 1/4 there's no question that it can be done with a H/C/I combo, gears, suspension, and tires.

In a highway race, where power:weight plays less of a role than power:aerodynamics, I think that the new 5.0 at 360-370 rwhp is going to come around mild h/c/i foxes, eventually.... at least until 155mph where it hits the limiter. Then, the fox should run it back down again. An agressive high winding h/c/i combo in a fox might stay out front, though.

Of course, we're comparing a modded fox to a bone stock new 5.0. Start modding the new 5.0 and it's going to take a power adder or stroker to hang on.

That's not 100% true... Look at the Mustang IIs. :D

Seriously though, that's a car that was wildly popular in its time, but people don't want anything to do with them now.

I knew someone was going to mention the II's. :D

They are most certainly an exception to the rule. Not only were they the least desirable Mustang built at the worst point in automotive history, but their production numbers paled in comparison to the much more popular '87-'93 EFI Fox bodies.

I think desire for the car istself plays the biggest roll. I wouldn't say "wildly popular". Nobody wanted the II's when they were brand new, as they were always known as a piece of @*%& red headed step child of the breed. But, if you wanted to drive a Mustang between '74-'78, the Mustang II was your only choice. The Fox was considerably less @*%&ier and thus more popular and the newer stangs got progressively better still.

Not to mention...where's the aftermarket suport for the Mustang II? Almost nothing. Every Mustang built afterwards though has a huuuuuge aftermarket backing, which is one of the major things that continues to make these cars so popular IMO.

I think aggressive HCI and suspension considering it puts you within 30-40 horse of a stocker and you're roughly 3-400 lbs lighter. BUT, that's just straight line and for a short quarter...

I think you're being generous, a well thought out, "aggressive" H/C/I on a Fox can easily put it over 400 at the crank. These are the guys running 11s in street driven 302 Foxes. But then, we aren't talking about as-cast heads and OTS cams at that point, either.

I knew someone was going to mention the II's. :D

They are most certainly an exception to the rule. Not only were they the least desirable Mustang built at the worst point in automotive history, but their production numbers paled in comparison to the much more popular '87-'93 EFI Fox bodies.

I think desire for the car istself plays the biggest roll. I wouldn't say "wildly popular". Nobody wanted the II's when they were brand new, as they were always known as a piece of @*%& red headed step child of the breed. But, if you wanted to drive a Mustang between '74-'78, the Mustang II was your only choice. The Fox was considerably less @*%&ier and thus more popular and the newer stangs got progressively better still.

Not to mention...where's the aftermarket suport for the Mustang II? Almost nothing. Every Mustang built afterwards though has a huuuuuge aftermarket backing, which is one of the major things that continues to make these cars so popular IMO.

I know, I'm quoting Wikipedia, I suck. But it's easy and I'm lazy, and I'm at work so I don't have my library of Ford books available. :D

wikipedia said:
The Mustang II production was 385,993 units the first year.[10] The big 1973 Mustang total reached 134,867,[2] but the 1974 version was within "10 percent of the original Mustang's 12-month production record of 418,812."[1] Over five years the Mustang II recorded four of the ten top model year Mustang sales. A 2009 report confirmed Iacocca's vision for the 1974–1978 Mustang, saying it "was the right car at the right time, selling more than 1 million units in four years."[11]

So anyway, the IIs at the time were very popular, and resurrected Mustang sales. I think "wildly" popular applies. :D

I really think the S197s will suffer with age, simply because they are already a "retro throwback". It's the car that's supposed to look like that older car, so when it gets older itself, what is the appeal? Even the new Coyote is a throwback to the Fox 5.0 (though it is a badass engine). The car has no identity of its own, and I think that is really going to affect how this car "ages".