WHAT OTHER CD CHANGERS WORK WITH CUSTOM AUTOSOUND RADIOS 8 PIN DIN CONNECTORS?

ARPM

Jul 8, 2004
PUERTO RICO
I just got a new USA66 AM-FM Retro Look Radio from custom autosound. The deal was so good i couldn't let it go by. Got the unit for $200.00 along with a set of Pioneers 6 1/2" Triaxials speakers and a pair of Sony 5 1/4" coaxial speakers.

Radio is brand new never installed and speakers are almost in same condition. I don't need a lot of power or many features so this unit is just right for my needs and besides it looks just like the original 65-66 Am-Fm unit.

Radio has 2 RCA inputs and 4 RCA preamps outputs along with an 8 pin Din connector to control a CD Changer from the radio presets push buttons. This connector is used to control their CD changer unit with this radio. I was told is the same connector as in other models they sell (Like USA5 and USA6).

Does any one knows what other CD Changer is compatible with these radios from Custom Autosound, or a wiring diagram that identifies the pin out functions available on this connector? The connector is identical to the Toshiba TX-975 CD Changer that my friend has installed on his 72 camaro but he won't lend it to me to exlplore or test with it.

I do have a complete manual for a USA 05 but it doesn't have CD changer control just the CD line in for the Audio portion. The schematic it's so small that you need a magnifying glass to read it. Here is a Pic for those that haven't seen it.

Appreciate any help or info provided.

Attachments

• Radio3a.bmp
    77.9 KB · Views: 583
  • Sponsors (?)

does yours have a big orange sticker on top of it that says compatable with custom autosound 10 disc changers only? the jbl 6 disc changer i have will work with the older ones, but not the new ones that are made for 10 disc changers.

Chromedog thanks for the reply, No, the radio has all the factory stickers on it and no one says "compatable with custom autosound 10 disc changers only" When i got it everything was packed as the factory did and even a large sticker that covers the complete front of the radio was there.

The P.O said he never installed it or messure it cuz he was called to Iraq when the radio arrived and then he sold the car because he was relocated to Germany with his family. Can you give me the model of the jbl 6 disc changer to see if i can find any info of that connector?

CUSTOM AUTOSOUND CD CONNECTOR DIAGRAM FOR USA5,USA6,USA66

Here it is guys. I have managed to interface without any problems the Toshiba TX-975 CD changer to the USA66 Radio from Custom AutoSound. Is a plug and go operation. Also the JBL CH600 Changer is 100% Compatible as chromedog said.

My friend from SONY did the trial and he said that there are a few models from AIWA that have the same interface. So for all interested in adapting other cd Changers to the Custom AutoSound radios USA5,USA6 and USA66 here is a link to the diagram and pinouts signal names.

Attachments

• CUSTOM-AUTOSOUND-USA66.gif
    CUSTOM-AUTOSOUND-USA66.gif
    5.9 KB · Views: 3,350
Bless you ARPM. I have a USA6 and 6-CD changer. Ever since a rainstorm two years ago, which included water intrusion into the under-dash area of my '65, the trunk-mounted changer has refused to power up. The problem is, it was holding a cartridge with 6 of my most favorite-est CD's of all time. They've been stuck in the player and I've refused to pay good money to replace CD's I already "own," even tho they've not seen the light of day for two years. Thanks to you I can energize the appropriate power prong and see if the dang thing will power up and release my discs! If I can get that cartridge out, I will GIVE you the player, if you want it. If you're interested email me at [email protected].

I think the better question is, what Custom AutoSound radios work? I've heard soooo many horror stories, I wished people would stop purchasing them for a while so they'd figure out that they need to build a better product. Problem is, they're the only game out there.

I think the better question is, what Custom AutoSound radios work? I've heard soooo many horror stories, I wished people would stop purchasing them for a while so they'd figure out that they need to build a better product. Problem is, they're the only game out there.

Only USA5,USA6 and USA66 because previus models had the Kenwood interface. I also beleive that models after 2003 have the new interface.

The only thing I use my USA6 for at present is to send the "blue wire" turn on signal to the amps in the trunk. I took the line level cable that used to run from the USA6 to these amps and plugged it into an 80 GB iPod, giving me 700 CDs/8700 songs on tap. I believe that I might have the only Custom Autocrap head unit in the world that's actually doing a decent job at what it's being asked to do.

The only thing I use my USA6 for at present is to send the "blue wire" turn on signal to the amps in the trunk. I took the line level cable that used to run from the USA6 to these amps and plugged it into an 80 GB iPod, giving me 700 CDs/8700 songs on tap. I believe that I might have the only Custom Autocrap head unit in the world that's actually doing a decent job at what it's being asked to do.

I know what you mean. As a Previous owner of a USA4 installed in my 66 GT I had to live with random turn off's, crappy sound from the radio amps and in AM a bunch of static 75% of the time. I changed it for the Factory AM and got me an FM converter, one Ken Harrison dual 3 1/2 in front and one pioneer 6x9 coax at rear

Now this USA66 has improved a bit in the quality of sound but I don't use it's amps for much. In my 65 vert I just run 4 sony's 3 1/2 coax in the dash space were the 4x10" goes with it. The USA66 pre outs move 2 4ch Sound Storms 400W hooked to 2 pioneers 6 1/2" triax in the kick panels, 2 sony's 4x6 4 ways in the doors,2 sony's 5 1/4" coax at the rear side panels and 2 Pyramid 5 1/4" subwoofers were the top motor is facing the trunk. It may sound a lot but is less that 200W RMS and my volume levels are hi enough just to get a clean sound at minimum distortion. The AM has also improved quite a bit. I think that this unit was not built/designed by the same company that did the previous models.

Any how at my age quantity is not what counts quality is.