What paint equipment is decent but inexpensive?

Zero Signal

Feb 24, 2003
Tucson, AZ
I've been pondering the idea of picking up some spray equipment. I don't mean awsome stuff, just something affordable that would be good enough to paint small things, like mirrors, tail lights, engine parts, interior parts with a good finish. I've had people tell me it's all in the paint but I'm sure there's only so much truth to that. I doubt I could go to Harbor Freight and pic up a load of cheap equipment and expect good result with expensive paint. If so I would be all over that.

So what do you guys think? I know some of you do some really nice work.

I was looking at something like this http://www.spraygundepot.com/scripts/depot.exe?pgm=gunsdepotgate.bbx But what else would I need? I have an air tank for starters. It's not a big one, but for small things I figure I probably coule get away with it.

• Sponsors (?)

it's not in the paint its all in the prep work and the painter doing it, i personally love my sata guns but also own a couple of devilbliss guns, you mainly have to look for tip sizes-use a bigger tip for primers, medium for base coats or single-stages, and fine tips for clear coats, i will look at my guns and let you know the sizes im running as i havent painted anything in over a year.

You should be able to do a decent job with one of those DeVilbiss guns. I use SataJet at the shop I paint at, but thats like top of the line crap. Juiced is right, it's all in the prep work. So make sure you get get some tack clothes and some good solvent to make sure the surface is nice and clean before you paint it. And for safety make sure you pick up a nice 3M respirator. Also, how big of an airtank are we talking here? I usually paint with 70psi. or so behind the gun (everyone is different though). The point being is you want an air compressor that can hold a decent amount and can compress pretty fast. You don't want to have sudden drops in pressure from the compressor trying to compress more air. If you ever need any help on how you should prep something or what products you should use on a certain surface, shoot me a message. I've shot with a few different lines of paint. I'm mainly certified for PPG though but can still lend some tips. My email is '[email protected]' if you ever need help.

- Ted

very true on the size of the compressor but as long as your not trying to do a compleat in 1 hour you can use the small compressor and shoot a couple pieces at a time which is what i do (do bumpers, then fenders, then small pieces, then hood doors, and last quarters and roof.)

Yeah, and have a good pressure regulator. Some pressure regulators don't really work as advertised.

You should also have an inline filter for the air line, so you don't add any moisture in the paint.

I have seen the guys at my body shop paint all the time. They do it outside, when there is wind. But as long as you have a good gun, steady air pressure, and some practice, you will do well.

Another thing I would recommend doing is getting a hood, with many contours. Don't paint it flat, paint it vertical. That way you will get used to gravity. Because runs suck.
Scott

Untill I can get a bigger tank, I was thinking I was gonna do mirrors, engine and interior parts mostly. Just things that can get a cote in a few swipes before the tank runs down.

Once I get some confidence I need to shoot the tailights and Laura's 93 cheese grater tails need paint too. I figure for bigger jobs like my hood which needs new paint, rocker panels or new wing eventually, I could just rent a big tank for the time I need it. Right now I just want to learn. I want to buy tools that are capable of performing so that the only bottleneck is my lack of skill.

I'm trying to decide between this and an arc welder. Both look like they would cost the same in the long run.