What part of your car do you hate working on the most?

Maybe I'm in the minority, but the starter on all of our fox's is insanely easy! I mean literally 10 minutes and I can have any of them out... Must be the long tube headers that make it so easy?

I hate anything to do with wiring. Trying to find, diagnose, fix wiring issues sucks.

• Sponsors (?)

Water pump. I was lucky enough to break one of my corroded rusty water pump bolts while I was installing my h/c/I. To get it off I tried everything, heat, those reverse screw things, and finally had to drill it out and install a helicoil. When I went to install the timing cover and pump the new fixed hole was slightly off centered to the left and now it does not line up with any of the other cover bolts. Yay! 2 days wasted. Now im going to try to drill the holes of the cover and pump larger to see if I can get it to line up. On top of that, while trying to make the cover fit I sliced my finger tips open… had some beers and went to bed. Car pissed me off last night.

Water pump. I was lucky enough to break one of my corroded rusty water pump bolts while I was installing my h/c/I. To get it off I tried everything, heat, those reverse screw things, and finally had to drill it out and install a helicoil. When I went to install the timing cover and pump the new fixed hole was slightly off centered to the left and now it does not line up with any of the other cover bolts. Yay! 2 days wasted. Now im going to try to drill the holes of the cover and pump larger to see if I can get it to line up. On top of that, while trying to make the cover fit I sliced my finger tips open… had some beers and went to bed. Car pissed me off last night.
I snapped one on my last tear down. I was lucky enough to get the bolt out, but I have no clue where I am going to go about getting some replacements...

Suspension
brakes
pedals and anything to do with them (clutch/speedo cable)
anything related to under or behind the dash
the steering shaft is a real MF'er...i can't stand having to take it out
one of the power steering lines...i can't remember which but it's a PITFA to get threaded into the rack
after redoing the wiring harness a couple weeks ago, i now officially hate wiring too

I hate anything that involves gear oil. :puke:

Every time I get a whiff of that stuff I start gagging and almost puke.
I have found that the synthetic stuff doesn't smell near as bad though, so that's what I use now.

I hate anything that involves gear oil. :puke:

Every time I get a whiff of that stuff I start gagging and almost puke.
I have found that the synthetic stuff doesn't smell near as bad though, so that's what I use now.

Where are you using gear oil on a Mustang? Or do you mean friction modifier for the rear end? That stuff reeks.

I hate everything. I've gotten to the point i hate working on cars. Just doing oil changes pisses me off now.

I'm only doing the work to my 5.0 pretty much because I have no choice. It's fun, but tat the same time i hate doing it and wish it was done.

But if i had to pick a MOST HATED part...it would be transmission work. It's already given me a few stiches. :(

Attachments

• DSC00547.jpg
    DSC00547.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 133
Without doubt, wiring. There are wires everywhere, and they go nowhere, but they do something, even if they connect nothing, then nothing works cuz one wire that connects nothing isn't connected to anything wrapped around the other wires that go nowhere either, next to more wires. All while contorting into inhuman positions better saved for other rooms of the house.PITA:nonono:.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but the starter on all of our fox's is insanely easy! I mean literally 10 minutes and I can have any of them out... Must be the long tube headers that make it so easy?

I hate anything to do with wiring. Trying to find, diagnose, fix wiring issues sucks.

Agreed. I'm kinda confused on the starter and headers thing. Such a piece of cake. It's got nothing to do with long tubes, mine was less than half hour my first time out and in with shorties. We put the mac long tubes on my car last weekend and fabbed up my own shorty to longtube x-pipe conversion haha. This includes pulling the starter and steering shaft. Just relaxin takin breaks and drinkin beers it only took a couple hours. Not too sure what everyone bitches about. It seems like there's a lot of indents, holes and passageways in these cars that are there specifically to fit wrenches, extensions, etc. to make them easier to work on.

Tranny kinda sucks pulling it out on your back but not that big of a deal. Rebuilding them is fun. Rearends aren't difficult, just suck because of the smell and mess. The only time I really hated a rearend was when my axle broke and the broken stub was stuck in the carrier.

It's always more fun to drive it than work on it but it's nice doing all your own work and having the ability to do pretty much anything. It's a great feeling after you finish something and it turned out good and everything works the way you wanted it. Well I'm gonna go help my buddy build the headers for his turbo setup from scratch. Not looking forward to putting those header bolts in though :rolleyes:

I don't mind the wiring, it's one of those things that looks daunting at first, but once you dig into it (preferrably with a diagram) its interesting to see what each wire does and it starts to make more sense.

Also, I don't mind the trans for the most part. I've never worked on a AOD car, but I think the bench-press method with a T5 is kind of entertaining, whether you're doing it or watching someone else do it, haha.