What really happened to...

SVTJayC

Jan 13, 2004
The stripes, The 18 inch wheels, The engine cover, The "short" shifter, The mythical handling package...Usually Ford waits until a car is actually out, before they start cutting corners and decontenting things.

You may buy the "SVT wanted them story", but I sure don't. I think Ford bit WAY more off than they could chew, and now they are realing at the 11th hour, to get this car back under the sticker they promised. Face it, you simply cant build a car with the same build quality as a foreign competitor car (nissan Z, etc), paying union american workers, and price it thousands less. The math simply doesnt work out. Corners HAVE TO be cut somewhere, and I think we are seeing them now. They pulled the same thing with the Thunderbird, cutting the V6 and manual option at the last second, and constantly fiddling with it to save a penny here and there until it came out. I mean this si supposed to be an ***ALL NEW***, ground up design, and yet they still want to stick us with those hideous torque thrust wheels that are what now? 4 years old? And i can only imagine what those upgrade wheels must weigh. They are a really sharp design, but woudl have been even nice at 18inches with a decent set of tires wrapped around them. The ammount of pure BS that has surrounded this car since it started making appearances at the auto shows is mind boggling. But not new from ford. They pulled the same thing with the Focus, showing everyone the Euro spec ones built in germany at the auto shows and getting everyones hopes up, and then releasing a half assed version of it to the US. It's just sad, why cant these companies just be honest with us from day one.

• Sponsors (?)

Sorry, but you're not making a much sense to me. :shrug:

The "short" shifter is still there.

The 18" wheels & tires were ALWAYS going to be an option

The "handling package" was ALWAYS going to be an option

Ford never saind that stripes would be offered as either standard or an option.

So the only think that we have lost is the engine cover.

SVTJayC said:
The stripes, The 18 inch wheels, The engine cover, The "short" shifter, The mythical handling package...Usually Ford waits until a car is actually out, before they start cutting corners and decontenting things.

See other threads on this board for answers.

SVTJayC said:

... They pulled the same thing with the Thunderbird, cutting the V6 and manual option at the last second, and constantly fiddling with it to save a penny here and there until it came out.

Stripes, 18" wheels, engine cover, and handling package are all priceable options. Ford didn't take them out to save money. They can price for them and make a profit. I suspect they were deleted due to manufacturing plant complexity or to save for later introduction on feature car.

Shifter throw has not change. They just replaced the plastic chrome ball that looked like a 60W light bulb with a better leather wrapped shift knob.

:bang:

The only thing i am VERY pissed off about as mentioned before is the stripes... i think it makes the car IMO... but hey what do i know, im only a consumer :shrug: ... heh oh well...And yes i did expect the concept to change quite a bit, but Ford kept showing the stripes.... Motortrend, car shows etc on the ALMOST production car. :(

MustangSteve007 said:
The only thing i am VERY pissed off about as mentioned before is the stripes... i think it makes the car IMO... but hey what do i know, im only a consumer :shrug: ... heh oh well...And yes i did expect the concept to change quite a bit, but Ford kept showing the stripes.... Motortrend, car shows etc on the ALMOST production car. :(

I guess I don't understand that. Ford would likely have charged you $300 for an exterior upgrade package. When they vinyl stripes they used would have cost you $100 on your own.